Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Anthia Questions
My 5 anthias are now down to 4. One of them didn't seem to want to play the game from the start and rarely came out and never ate. I have another one now that is getting really skinny but the other 3 are fine - even though they are as dumb as dog shit when it comes to food time. I have no problem feeding them the 3 to 4 times a day as they apparently require.
But if only they would eat the Mysis when it's in front of them, they'll have a piece or two and then swim amongst it, meanwhile the tangs are ripping into it and getting as fat as mud.
They have seemed to show interested in some bits that fly off the Nori when the tangs are having a feeding frenzy - it would be nice if they ate a bit more of that.
They don't show any interest in any of the pellet food on offer which I wish they would.
So my question is what if any pellet food has anyone's anthias taken a liking to? And will they actually change over to pellet food or am I going to end up with skinny anthias and fat tangs.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Could be a few things. Maybe scared of tangs? But I did read somewhere that the reason for needing to feed anthias multiple times a day was due to the fact that they can only hold so much in their stomach. Could be totally on wrong track though...

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
We are using the trpocial brand pellet for our ventralis but the smallest granular in their range.

With feeding we target fed at start with a tube.pumps off and got the other fish at opposite end of tank. We found the anthia learnt pumps off meant feed time.

I would add more variety to your feed. Our mix at the start was brine, mysis, plankton, cyclops, fish eggs and live brine.

@Wrangy might be able to confirm worth trying feeding frenzy if your LFS sells it

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Food size is the biggest factor in anthias feeding :) live baby brine will have them go crazy!

The other thing is varied diet will give you the best success, something high in protein and fat will help chub them up! Lol
As Brendan has mentioned try and some Aqua Tech Co. foods for the tank, they're the shit and have some fantastic sizes! Naups, Marine Frenzy and some selco boost would work really well in your case!
These guys :)
received_1361605803849894.jpeg

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Try something smaller, they like smaller foods and yes, they do have very tiny stomachs. When I hold them for a local customer, I use very small foods to get them started, brine shrimp is good, especially if its been frozen properly.

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
My 5 anthias are now down to 4. One of them didn't seem to want to play the game from the start and rarely came out and never ate. I have another one now that is getting really skinny but the other 3 are fine - even though they are as dumb as dog shit when it comes to food time. I have no problem feeding them the 3 to 4 times a day as they apparently require.
But if only they would eat the Mysis when it's in front of them, they'll have a piece or two and then swim amongst it, meanwhile the tangs are ripping into it and getting as fat as mud.
They have seemed to show interested in some bits that fly off the Nori when the tangs are having a feeding frenzy - it would be nice if they ate a bit more of that.
They don't show any interest in any of the pellet food on offer which I wish they would.
So my question is what if any pellet food has anyone's anthias taken a liking to? And will they actually change over to pellet food or am I going to end up with skinny anthias and fat tangs.
What anthia are they??

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Tagging along with interest, just added 5 to a QT and seem to have them feeding on minced prawn with garlic but dont want to be concocting that up every night. Already had grumblings from the wife. My Lyretails didn't seem to accept Brine shrimp but that was on Sunday when i first got them. Will give it another go tomorrow maybe

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
You could also try lobster eggs ...
Wish I could still get hold of lobster eggs. I have been told from all the local LFS that they can no longer get hold of them because ocean nutrition has stopped that line of marine food.....down to my last two cubes :cry

Last edited:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Wish I could still get hold of lobster eggs. I have been told from all the local LFS that they can no longer get hold of them because ocean nutrition has stopped that line of marine food.....down to my last two cubes :cry
Bugger - I have around 3/4 of a pack left - if I hold on to them for a bit longer I might be able to retire :D

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Any sort of eggs should work, just be VERY careful about freshness. Fats spoil rapidly. They're still available here from 3 different sources.