Reef Discussion

muz_z

Aug 29, 2011
Been a bit quite on the forums lately but got the passion to fire up again
Even though my tank has been going great for a while now
Been running a Profilux for a while bit like the DIY stuff so keen to have another little project again!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The screen still hasn't arrived :mad:

I sent them a email on Monday night - they claim that the package was sent 6/8/12 but that following an inspection by Chinese customs it was returned to them - they subsequently resent it 15/8.

They have asked me to 'wait patiently'.

I was really hoping that it turned up today so I could have a play over the weekend - bad weather outside means I can have a play inside :rolleyes

I must admit that it is starting to piss me off ;)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
This is from their website

f your order by air mail is notified as “shipped” for 30 days without reception, please contact your post office and notify us. We will follow up closely to track the parcel, and refund/ reship in the worst case.
That's OK, but it means I am waiting even longer to get the screen.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Even though I don't have the screen yet :mad: I spent about 5 hours last night downloading the libraries I need for the touch screen etc and researching the other things I want.

I could just do a graphical interface similar to the Jarduino (this basically uses lines, boxes etc to create the interface), but I tend not to do things the easy way ;)

My plan is to have a nice custom graphic background similar to this - this is designed for a graphics equaliser but you get the idea

aandybrown.me.uk_wk_wp_content_images_arduino6300_mediaPlayer.jpg

I spent a lot of time finding suitable libraries/programs to 1) display this type of graphic and 2) convert fonts for use on the Arduino. Two default fonts are provided with the installed libraries but these will not be suitable for what I want to do.

I think I have located what I need but, without the screen, I can't test them yet :mad:

Hopefully, I can get started on this soon :rolleyes

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Anything is possible :)

I was thinking of adding to the lux meter as I won't be using many of the I/O pins on this project (an ATO controller came to mind) but I think it is best to leave this as a stand alone project as it probably needs to be portable, and my plan is to have it battery operated.

Something like the Typhon is definitely doable, but that is for another time :rolleyes

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My screen has still not arrived - my guess is that it is not likely to now and I will need to organise a refund.

But, I made a decision to order a replacement last Monday and chose the DHL mail option - I also ordered 5 screens suitable for the light meter to help to defray the cost of the DHL shipping. This package arrived in Melbourne from Hong Kong this morning so I doubt I will see it before the weekend :(

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My first order has still not arrived - looks like a Paypal claim will be lodged tonight.

But, the good news is that my second order arrived today :) - I will be testing a few things out tonight and putting up links to a few sites as I have found it a bit difficult finding the answers to some of my questions!!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Had a play last night and, as usually happens, things did not go exacttly to plan.

These are the things I want to get working before I move on to the real game:

Screen
Touch Screen
SD Card
Display Graphics
Display Different Fonts

I currently have the screen working and the Touch Screen partially working - I think I found part of the problem with the Touch at 11.30 last night but it was then time to go to bed :(

Hopefully I will get everything working tonight :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The following information is required only if you are intending to program the Arduino - it is provided to anyone who is having problems with the the iteadstudio LCD TFT screen.

For the record, I am using :
And I am using a series of libraries written by Henning Karlsen and available here : http://henningkarlsen.com/electronics/library.php?i.d=51

UTFT Library - for the screen

Available here http://henningkarlsen.com/electronics/download.php?f=UTFT.rar

ITDB02_Touch Library - for the Touch Panel

Available here http://henningkarlsen.com/electronics/library.php?i.d=35

This library will not work with the new Arduino IDE V1.01 as one of the core libraries has been renamed.

In the ITDB02_Touch library directory there will be two files named ITDB02_Touch.cpp and ITDB02_Touch.h - open these files in a text editor (I like using GetDiz).

In both files replace the references to:

#include "WProgram.h"

with:

#include "Arduino.h"

Save the files.

This is where I am up to now - I have not been able to get the example sketches working, including a calibration sketch, but I am sure that I will soon :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I now have the touch screen working - I will provide my solution once I am 100% certain that I am correct in my assumptions :)

Next up - the SD Card.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have been working on this for the past few days and have a couple of problems.

First off, there are not enough pins on the Arduino Uno to support both the touch screen and the SD Card reader - so I have decided to progress with the touch screen which will mean that the graphics will not be quite as good as anticipated.

The second problem is currently a big one - I have been able to get the touch screen working fine on the 3.2" screen that I have, but not so on the planned 2.2" screen. I am not sure what the problem is and have been receiving some email assistance from the writer of the library, Henning Karlsen - I have spent about 8 hours so far trying to find a solution - hopefully tonight I will get lucky :)