Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Brekel do you have any experience with the resistive touch screens?

I have had a number of emails with Henning Karlsen, who wrote the libraries for the ITead screens, but have not been able to solve the problem.

The 3.2" screen works fine but the 2.2" screen is givings me the shits - I know that this type of screen is, by its nature, very imprecise but this is so inaccurate that I am about to throw it in the bin. I suspect that the small physical size is causing the problem but don't really know enough about them - I am getting so much noise in the results that it is unworkable.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Don't have any first hand experience yet. My 3.2" arrived friday, but no time to play yet.
What model is the 2.2? Do you have a link to info on that one?
I recall seeing a post on one of the arduino forums where someone had similar issues, but I was searching for something else at the time so I didn't pay much attention to the solution.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Still no luck getting this to work.

I have no problem with the 3.2" screen/touch panel and the Mega 2560, but the 2.2" screen with the UNO is giving me grief - I cannot get the touch panel to work correctly :mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
This tells me that you should be using the 3.2 screen!

Have you found anyone who has got it working?
I have not been able to find any references to anybody using this 2.2" screen - there is something I want to try today so we will see how it goes. I tend to keep going with problems like these until I find a solution, and subsequently waste 30 hours of my life :rolleyes

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Its not a waste mate. You've just found a few ways on how not to code the screen. It'll save you time when you start another project involving the same components :D
Not to mention, when you find a way to make it work, a lot of the Arduino members would love to get their hands on the code that works.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It's not so much the code (although I am writing a new calibration library for this screen) it is problems with the physical hardware - I am getting constant, and random, readings from the touch screen as if it was getting touched - I suspect 'digital noise' is coming from somewhere.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Yes, and its still doing it :mad:

I reckon I have looked at 50 different web sites today, and tried 10 different libraries but I couldn't get the majority to work as they used different LCD chips.

I have gone back to the initial UTFT libraries to see if I have any luck the second (or third or fourth....) time around.

I am also having problems with the Arduino's - there are reported problems with the Mega2560 where the upload will stall with V1 and above. And there are also reported problems with the UNO's where sketches about about 28k wont load, even though there is 32k of memory.

I also find that a sketch will work with one upload but then you upload exactly the same sketch and it won't work :confused: Maybe its these cheap Chinese versions that I am using !!

It's been a frustrating few days.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I will just add that the 3.2" screen with the Mega 2560 is working fine - it is the 2.2" screen with the UNO that is causing problems.

The ITDB02-Touch library was not written for the 2.2" screen although is should still work OK as it is using the same analogue to digital chip.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Have you tried the sd reader on the 2.2"?
It sounds to me more like a hardware issue than software. If you have issues with the sd reader as well, I would suspect it's an issue with the power supply filtering on the board.
Looking at the info in the link above, there is a picture of the bottom of the board with a three pin surface mount component and a couple of discrete components around it, right next to the power pins on the connector. Without a good pic to go by, I suspect this is a voltage regulator and some filter capacitors. There could be an issue there. A problem with one of the capacitors could allow noise to cause random events.
It might be nothing to do with this, but it's a possibility that kinda fits the symptoms.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I get an "MBR Signature Error" when using the SD reader on the 2.2" screen.

TBH, despite having 5 of these screens ready to do some builds, I have wasted enough time in trying to get them to work and am going to pack them back up and throw them in a drawer. I might get them back out when I have retired :p

The UNO only has enough pins to run the screen (in 8 bit mode) + either the touch panel OR the SD Card reader. A previous version of the board had a switch to determine which option was chosen - this one doesn't so I am not sure how it decides what is to work :confused:

Brekel, let me know if you want one of the screens to have a play with.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The UNO is the upgraded version of the duem...... - they changed the USB conversion chip but it seems to be causing some problems.

No, the 3.2" screen cannot be run on the UNO - it operates in 16 bit mode (transfers more data per clock cycle) which requires 16 data pins and the UNO does not have enough pins. The 2.2" operates in 8 bit mode (only requires 8 data pins) whilst the 2.4" can operate in either mode.

Given the relatively small price differential I am thinking of just using a Mega and a 3.2" screen - that way I can also utilise the SD card reader.

Anyone want a cheap 2.2" screen :rolleyes

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
VaultBoy I've seen a 3.2 that works in 8 or 16 bit mode, it may even have been one of the sainsmarts, so I assume that one would work on the UNO if you need it to.