Off-Topic

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Anyone Have Any Good Breakfast Recipes?
As above, I'm particularly looking for a good recipe with quinoa in it for breakfast.

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
Wow I thought I was the only freak eating quinoa for breakfast, rock on!

I make it up like a bircher the night before
Jalna natural yougart + quinoa flakes + a little bit of water in sealed Tupperware overnight in the fridge.
If I am feeling a little bit fancy ill add frozen berries before I eat it.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks Neill! I'll try it. I used to work with a few hippy vegetarians and we had some wicked BBQ's - there are some new foods in my diet now :) Jalna Biodynamic Organic is on my fav's list too, its the only natural yogurt I like as I'm more of a sweet tooth. Haven't tried any Quinoa breakfast recipes since I first posted this but I have some good recipes for main meals.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I'll have to research it to be sure but I believe you need to cook quinoa before you eat it.

Edit: grounding it down first will ensure you obtain the nutrients inside the shell. Otherwise it's expensive poop.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
White bread, butter, vegimite, toaster. Thats all you need to live :D

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
@Buddy Add cottage cheese to that and you're golden.

I make homemade baked beans which are the bomb. The recipe will need to be adjusted to your taste as I make it by eyeballing amounts so the following are close guestimations:
(this makes a lot by the way, it freezes down really well)

Ingredients
1kg cannelloni beans (white beans), raw/uncooked
250g bacon eye fat cut off
3 medium carrots
2 white onions
big handful of fresh rosemary chopped up fine as you can be bothered with, plus 2 stalks kept unchopped
10tbsp cumin powdered
5tbsp garlic crushed
5tbsp smoked paprika
800g chopped tomatoes (tinned or fresh)
200g tomato paste
2 liters water

Method
Finely (as finely as you can, 2-3mm if possible) dice the carrots, onion and bacon. Turn on oven to 180 degrees c.
Bring cannelloni beans to boil (from cold water) with the 2 stalks of rosemary and some salt, take off the heat and let sit in the water while you do all the other stuff.
In a oven proof crock pot (cast iron with the lid type of pot) sauté the onion and bacon for 4 or 5 minutes in some olive oil over medium heat
Add carrots, garlic and spices, continue to cook for a couple of minutes until carrot softens a teensy bit.
Add chopped rosemary, tomato paste, tomatoes and water. The mix should be pretty watery like a chicken noodle soup, not like a thick potato and leek if you know what I mean.
Bring to boil and then place lid on and put in the oven. Turn the oven down to 140 degrees and cook the beans for 2-2.5 hours total. Check after 1 hour and at 1.5 hours to see if the water has dried out too much. You might need to add another liter or so if it is looking like thick soup after an hour. After the beans are done let them cool completely in the pot before dividing up into containers and freezing. Enjoy!
You can add quinoa or use a mix of beans if you want the variety.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
HELL yes @holly ! Now thats what I'm talking about, especially that I can freeze it, I'm not that dedicated to cooking all the time.

@Buddy - actually thats a pretty yum breakfast, but if you have it every day don't you get bored of it?

Some 'different' breakfasts friends have taught me are:

Nice bread, toasted, drizzled in olive oil with a sprinkling of salt - doesn't taste too different from butter, and healthier for you.
Lime and greek yoghurt porridge - this was on the breakfast menu at a friends restaurant in San Remo so hopefully that makes anyone reading this more willing to try it. Make porridge your preferred way and add per serving 1/4 squeezed lime juice, 1 tbsp greek yoghurt and 1 tsp sugar (or sweeten to taste).
Pureed fruit and almond milk smoothies - I like strawberry and mango (separate flavours). Sometimes I add vanilla protein powder. This is actually a quick breakfast to take in the car.
My mum makes these pancakes that I don't have the recipe on hand for, but its got wheatgerm, oats and yoghurt. I find normal 'pancakes' disappointing - they are not pancakes in my book - they're pikelets!