Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Anyone Interested In A National Meetup?
Hi all,

been thinking about this for a little while and have the ball rolling enough to post the concept here and see if anyone would be interested. I'm wanting to host a national meetup for Reefuge and potential future Reefuge members at my house (read, anyone interested). Really keen to have members from most states come for a weekend.

The basic concept is:

1. People walk/drive/fly to my place in Geelong Victoria on the Friday. We have a dinner/drinks/party/look at my tank and basically break the ice, get to meet the people face to face that we chat with on this wonderful site often. I am happy to arrange airport connections for interstates.

2. People are welcome to bring their family or friends and are more than welcome to either sleep at my place or at one of the many affordable accommodation providers near my house.

3. Saturday we can do a tour of some members tanks in the region, see some local stores or even see some non-reef related tourist attractions if preferred.

4. Saturday night we go to a invite only, locked door, special delivery, frag session at a fantastic fish store that has some of the best SPS, LPS and other corals coming in regularly at the moment. This event would include dinner, drinks a healthy number of top shelf frags and all consumables (tiles, glue, bags, etc.) This event is looking like an approximate cost of $50 at this stage, but is just a concept at this stage.

5. Sunday can be a another day continuing the reefing theme or a family day where you do what you like in this lovely part of the world. Then I anticipate people will catch flights/drive back to their homes Sunday afternoon/evening. You can either take your frags and any other purchases with you or I can arrange postage.

So in short, come to my place for dinner/booze up, spend next day doing reefing stuff, attend exclusive ultra frag night and spend Sunday seeing the sights.

Would anyone be keen for this in say September? I might take the week before and week after off to be available to spend time with anyone looking to make more of a holiday out of it.

Let me know!

logo.fw.png

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Ummm yes! Also happy to do an airport run on the way through as I have to go past it anyway :) although we might take a while....
walking.png

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
12 months ago I would be all over this, with a 9 month old in the house my wifenow questions why I disappeared for so long walking to the fridge to get a drink

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
Hi Sam,

I would also be interested to come with my wife to this most gracious invitation.

Kind Regards,

Atti

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Dang (Read - too many fiscal obligations to commit presently)!!

Huge Kudos for the idea/event though mate :worship

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Sure, I could hopefully do one of the days. September is footy finals, so it all depends on if my team is playing :p (Go Hawks)

@Wrangy I will be sure to beep on my way past if I see you hiking down the highway hahaha

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
OK sweet, from just a few hours of feedback, it looks as if there is enough interest for this to go ahead.

The AFL is a valid point as it will impact the price of flights and accomodation if required. Looks as if September the 2nd-4th is the go then. Everyone happy to lock this date in? I know it won't suit all, but as long as it suits most - that's all we can aim for.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
What a great and generous idea @Sam Parker
I'd love to come, I have family in Geelong that I've been meaning to catch up with to.
I'll have to wait closer to the date to commit as late August/September is about the time we're moving into our new place.