Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Gerhard and I are looking forward bringing back some nice frags or more!!
Do you know if we came bring a box of goodies back on the plane with as (as carryon) or will we have to have it shipped back by the store?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Gerhard and I are looking forward bringing back some nice frags or more!!
Do you know if we came bring a box of goodies back on the plane with as (as carryon) or will we have to have it shipped back by the store?
you certainly can carry them on, done it a couple times myself back from Sydney to Melbourne :)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I have often thought of doing this - what do they say when you go through security? Do you take them out of your bag?
First time I did it, was coming back from an impromptu Sydney lfs crawl with @Wrangy and @Felicity goodall . The security guy asked to see them and I freaked, but he was just curious as he had a "fish" tank. Second time no one batted an eye lid. I did get the stores to double/triple bag them just to be safe though (they puff up a lot in the lower cabin pressure!)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
First time I did it, was coming back from an impromptu Sydney lfs crawl with @Wrangy and @Felicity goodall . The security guy asked to see them and I freaked, but he was just curious as he had a "fish" tank. Second time no one batted an eye lid. I did get the stores to double/triple bag them just to be safe though (they puff up a lot in the lower cabin pressure!)
That was after the explosives test :P you must have looked really shady haha he was very curious when Sam explained what it was lol but he didn't bat an eyelid at it!
Dave he just asked to see in the box, didn't ask for x-rays.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
That was after the explosives test :p you must have looked really shady haha he was very curious when Sam explained what it was lol but he didn't bat an eyelid at it!
Dave he just asked to see in the box, didn't ask for x-rays.
So, they weren't put through the scanner - just carried through the detector ??

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
So, they weren't put through the scanner - just carried through the detector ??
yeah they went through the scanner (was in my carry on luggage and they scan them while you walk through the metal detector). Must have looked a little interesting to them (which you can understand...)

People just think I am dodgy... I was working on a power unit for a tank in adelaide last night while my mum was over. It consists of a medium sized wooden box with a number of power points and a temperature controller. As I was wiring it up, mum asks what I'm making. I replied with "bomb", she then asks who for - I say "Isis". She didn't follow up with any more questions LOL

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
yeah they went through the scanner (was in my carry on luggage and they scan them while you walk through the metal detector). Must have looked a little interesting to them (which you can understand...)

People just think I am dodgy... I was working on a power unit for a tank in adelaide last night while my mum was over. It consists of a medium sized wooden box with a number of power points and a temperature controller. As I was wiring it up, mum asks what I'm making. I replied with "bomb", she then asks who for - I say "Isis". She didn't follow up with any more questions LOL
I am pretty sure you are on some type of list now lol

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Hmm I'm in Brissy at the moment and wanted to bring some stuff back but I don't think I'll chance it. They actually said nothing live is allowed on carry on.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
They will say that to protect themselves, but ironically I bet they don't see coral as being live. If you want to get fish back, post them back to yourself?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
They will say that to protect themselves, but ironically I bet they don't see coral as being live. If you want to get fish back, post them back to yourself?
Might be the way to go! I'll see if the Aquariums have anything this early in the week.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
So the guy at reef secrets said he has had heaps of customers go through with fish but I ended up buying too much so had to get posted :p

Back on topic now people....

Mar 1, 2014
Hi all,

been thinking about this for a little while and have the ball rolling enough to post the concept here and see if anyone would be interested. I'm wanting to host a national meetup for Reefuge and potential future Reefuge members at my house (read, anyone interested). Really keen to have members from most states come for a weekend.

The basic concept is:

1. People walk/drive/fly to my place in Geelong Victoria on the Friday. We have a dinner/drinks/party/look at my tank and basically break the ice, get to meet the people face to face that we chat with on this wonderful site often. I am happy to arrange airport connections for interstates.

2. People are welcome to bring their family or friends and are more than welcome to either sleep at my place or at one of the many affordable accommodation providers near my house.

3. Saturday we can do a tour of some members tanks in the region, see some local stores or even see some non-reef related tourist attractions if preferred.

4. Saturday night we go to a invite only, locked door, special delivery, frag session at a fantastic fish store that has some of the best SPS, LPS and other corals coming in regularly at the moment. This event would include dinner, drinks a healthy number of top shelf frags and all consumables (tiles, glue, bags, etc.) This event is looking like an approximate cost of $50 at this stage, but is just a concept at this stage.

5. Sunday can be a another day continuing the reefing theme or a family day where you do what you like in this lovely part of the world. Then I anticipate people will catch flights/drive back to their homes Sunday afternoon/evening. You can either take your frags and any other purchases with you or I can arrange postage.

So in short, come to my place for dinner/booze up, spend next day doing reefing stuff, attend exclusive ultra frag night and spend Sunday seeing the sights.

Would anyone be keen for this in say September? I might take the week before and week after off to be available to spend time with anyone looking to make more of a holiday out of it.

Let me know!

View attachment 53394
I want to come!!!! Yay. But don't know if I can