Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Anyone Use A New Product Nualgi?
Hi Guys,

just thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone has heard or used, a new product called Nualgi? I cam across it after noticing a new business account member had joined the site - so asked them what they sold. They forwarded me to their website which showcased a product called Nualgi. They offer free samples (have to pay small postage amount to Australia) on the promise you will give before/after shots and will provide a testimonial. Before going any further, I wanted to do some research... Did a google search, came across a thread on Reef2Reef (that I don't mind reading for an American perspective on reefing) and a number of people had done the trial and highly recommended it. Clearer water, no algae, clean glass, better parameters, etc - no side effects.

http://www.nualgiaquarium.com/
awww.nualgiaquarium.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_02_nualgi_small.png

Anyway, sounds good (not too risky seeing as others have already tried it!) so I have put my order in for a trial amount. Will post my results up here for other members to see as well.

Sam

Last edited:

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Haven't come across this but sounds like a 'magical formula' that has me sceptical despite the reviews ...

If it works like advertised, it should be come a must-have for all aquarium owners, surely?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I haven't read up enough yet ... but does it tackle macro algae issues such as Caulerpa? Or is this more just for the green and hair algaes?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Found this on the FAQ:
Nualgi is not an algaecide therefore it will not kill off macro/chaeto or for that matter any fish. Nualgi and macro/chaeto would however compete for nutrients (P and N) on one hand, while on the other by virtue of its composition, Nualgi would deliver micro nutrients like P, Zn, Mn ,Mg, Ca etc to the water which would facilitate growth of macro/chaeto. It therefore wont kill macro or chaeto, but bring the growth of macro/chaeto to balance.

Hi Guys,

just thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone has heard or used, a new product called Nualgi? I cam across it after noticing a new business account member had joined the site - so asked them what they sold. They forwarded me to their website which showcased a product called Nualgi. They offer free samples (have to pay small postage amount to Australia) on the promise you will give before/after shots and will provide a testimonial. Before going any further, I wanted to do some research... Did a google search, came across a thread on Reef2Reef (that I don't mind reading for an American perspective on reefing) and a number of people had done the trial and highly recommended it. Clearer water, no algae, clean glass, better parameters, etc - no side effects.

http://www.nualgiaquarium.com/

Anyway, sounds good (not too risky seeing as others have already tried it!) so I have put my order in for a trial amount. Will post my results up here for other members to see as well.

Sam
Yeah they've been posting blatant ads on my threads, 3 times now. I've reported it but no response yet.

From what I can see, they're all claims & no facts. Besides I will never by as a result of spam. I really despise spammers......:banghead

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Yeah they've been posting blatant ads on my threads, 3 times now. I've reported it but no response yet.

From what I can see, they're all claims & no facts. Besides I will never by as a result of spam. I really despise spammers......:banghead
3 times? I saw one and they apologized?
Not sure what constitutes a fact, but there is plenty of solid information on their page and from hobbyists on other forums.

3 times? I saw one and they apologized?
Not sure what constitutes a fact, but there is plenty of solid information on their page and from hobbyists on other forums.
They are spammers. For me, no more needs to be said :) And they have used a slightly different name with the other. I can't be bothered wasting any more effort on them.
Each to their own decision.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
They are spammers. For me, no more needs to be said :) And they have used a slightly different name with the other. I can't be bothered wasting any more effort on them.
Each to their own decision.
OK - thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Had a quick glance - similar theory to using magnesium to control algae perhaps? Not that I know much about it. Interested to hear what you think of it Sam. Its a good sign that they are giving out samples so freely - shows confidence that their product does what they say it does.

Anil Nanda

Apr 10, 2014
Nothing like trialing yourself...we had to overcome a lot of skepticism here in the US as well. While the process continues, we think we are half way there.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
From what I have read in the US, everyone is a skeptic, then everyone who has trialed the product has loved it. That's good enough for me to give it a free shot!

Anil Nanda

Apr 10, 2014
From what I have read in the US, everyone is a skeptic, then everyone who has trialed the product has loved it. That's good enough for me to give it a free shot!
1 in 20 tanks have issues that do not get resolved by Nualgi right away. These folks are supported by our troubleshooter (Joe) who works with those aquarists for 4-8 weeks till their issues get resolved. Nualgi works on both planktonic and benthic levels. So if there are excess nutrients locked up in the sand bed or the rock, then they show up as greater algae build up in week 1 and 2 and then typically Nualgi starves them out.

Anil Nanda

Apr 10, 2014
I read the MSDS for this product. It contains Methanol (CH4O) and Acetic Acid(C2H4O2). Its a form of carbon dosing like vodka or alcohol and causes bacteria growth that consumes nutrients - here's a link to a forum discussion http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2275567. Nualgi is a nutrient which causes a diatom bloom. Diatoms are the good algae. They produce oxygen and consume Co2. They are a natural food for zooplankton and in turn zooplankton are a natural live food for fish and coral.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I read the MSDS for this product. It contains Methanol (CH4O) and Acetic Acid(C2H4O2). Its a form of carbon dosing like vodka or alcohol and causes bacteria growth that consumes nutrients - here's a link to a forum discussion http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2275567. Nualgi is a nutrient which causes a diatom bloom. Diatoms are the good algae. They produce oxygen and consume Co2. They are a natural food for zooplankton and in turn zooplankton are a natural live food for fish and coral.
So nothing like carbon dosing?