Reef Discussion

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Aquarium Supplies You Can Get From Bunnings
Thanks to other members on this forum, such as @holly , @Sam Parker and @mscott , I keep discovering new aquarium supplies I can get from Bunnings so I wanted to create a thread where we can all post about which products are available, how much they cost and how they are used. Please provide a picture of the product, which you can get from the Bunnings website. If that prevents you from posting your suggestions, just post them anyway and I will try to add a pic of the product later.

For eg.
Hydrated lime to make Kalkwasser (to dose calcium) - Cheap DIY instructions here: http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/kalkwasserdripping.html
lime.jpg

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Bunnings have a range of water feature pumps that are very reasonably priced, fit standard tube fittings and are completely plastic (so won't rust). I use them for water changes, flow pumps, etc. Below is the smallest one available:
Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 11.04.33 am.png

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
What are we limiting this to guys?? Because you can get most of your building stuffs from there e.g. plumbing, wood, panel board.
Also silicon for repairs, ect ect.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
What are we limiting this to guys?? Because you can get most of your building stuffs from there e.g. plumbing, wood, panel board.
Also silicon for repairs, ect ect.
No limits! Just do what Holly did above where she summarised and gave as many eg's as was necessary of the one type of product.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
loving the images from the bunnings website. It is like they have released a marine aquarium catalogue. hahaha

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
loving the images from the bunnings website. It is like they have released a marine aquarium catalogue. hahaha
I love the pics because I'm a visual person - if I know what it looks like, BAM and I'm outta there. Written description, I find the aisle and just stare at a wall of distracting things

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
Yes, you rock! I'm going to make one of these once my HOB skimmer is gone.
Just a heads up the framing is a very light metal, which in the long term may rust or mark. You could try and find plastic framing? but for the price to make one being so cheap and making the actual thing takes an hour or so on a weekend... I plan on just making a new one when it gets a bit stained or starts to rust.

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Don't forget the pool section for;
CaCl 90% strength.
Soda ash and Soda bicarb.
Lanthanium chloride.

The glue section for;
Super glue, the Bostic brand works well and is cost effective.
Selly's aquaknead for aquarium putty.

Pete

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
Don't forget the pool section for;
CaCl 90% strength.
Soda ash and Soda bicarb.
Lanthanium chloride.

The glue section for;
Super glue, the Bostic brand works well and is cost effective.
Selly's aquaknead for aquarium putty.

Pete
Come on Pete! Where are the pics! jokes ;)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I use this stuff for all sorts of projects, cheap (you can apparently get it cheaper elsewhere, but I am happy to pay for 9pm weeknight convenience!), real easy to work with and you can make some pretty decent light frames, shelving, stands, all sorts.
bunn2.jpg
bunn1.jpg