Reef Discussion

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
No, touch has been working fine. Does it ever start correctly and then stop when the program is running?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
No, if it starts OK then it is fine - it's just that sometimes I load a sketch and the touch doesn't work right from the start.

Are you using the Henning Karlsen library?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Brekel

In relation to the bitmap issue, I suspect that you are correct i.e. the left hand column of pixels is moved to the right hand side. I did not have much of a chance to test things last night as I have been having computer problems with both my PC (I suspect that my graphics card is the problem) and with the Arduino (failing to load sketches).

But, I did manage to get the bitmaps loaded once and was able to replicate your problem. My guess is that it is a problem with the conversion program. I had not noticed this previously as 1) for some of my bitmaps I had some of the background colour around the outside of the pciture and 2) I did not have any bitmaps with sharp/contrasting edges.

An obvious workaround is to include one extra step in the preparation of the image i.e move the right hand column of pixels to the left hand side. The other option is to find another conversion program.

In due course I will send Henning an email to get his thoughts - I am sure that it is easily fixable.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Brett, does this LCD have the SD included?? The wording on ebay suggests that it just has the touch panel but the pictures tell a different story :confused:
I've spent most of my time so far looking at the LCD and touch screen. Had a bit of a play with the SD reader the other day though.
Yes - it has the SD card socket, and yes it is connected.
Unfortunately it is wired incorrectly.:mad: Did a bit of an online search when I couldn't get it working, and found some references to slightly different versions of the Sainsmart that had a wiring error. Pulled out the multimeter and found the same issue on this version.

By swapping a couple of connections on the sheild, and maybe having to modify a couple of resistors, I should be able to get it working. I can't say I would recommend purchasing these though, as you shouldn't have to play around modifying tracks on the circuit board to make it work.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Brekel, I think they say on the site that the SD reader doesn't work.

Before you going cuting any traces, I have an ITStudio shield with the SD reader that does work - I don't need to use this function for my current projects so happy to swap if you want to??

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Thanks for the offer, but I've already crossed the traces over.
I may not be using the SD card either, but thought I'd give it a quick try so I know how to access it in case I want to in the future.
The offer is appreciated though.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Just doing some work and I noticed that the SD reader is on the back of the screen and not on the shield as I originally thought - that's what I get for making the offer when I am work and didn't have the shield in front of me :rolleyes

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Wow, you guys have scared me off this given the saga in just getting them up and going... I have access to a Siemens LOGO PLC and software so might investigate that and then the Reefkeeper Elite... has anyone tried one of those?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The Reefkeepers are just a nicely packaged arduino based controller - unless something has changed recently they did not have a 240v switchable power board which, in my mind, does not enable it to be a controller as such. I know they have been talking about producing a power board for the European and Australian markets for some time (2 years+) but I don't think anything ever eventuated.

In part, the problems we have been having getting the screens, touch etc working is due to the fact they we are using low cost hardware manufactured in China - in a way you get what you pay for :rolleyes Unfortunately, there is little support provided by the seller but, given the price, you can't complain too much.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
the typhon controller is an arduino based plug and play light controller. Not sure where they are from but google will find it!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My new led drivers arrived today :)

These will form the basis for my new controller build

This will give you an idea of the size

Drivers.jpg

Meanwell LDD series -

Pro's : small, powered by a seperate power supply, can drive from 1 to 14 leds, relatively cheap @ $9 each, will dim all the way to 0
Con's : the modules run at a fixed constant current - they are available in 300, 350, 500, 600, 700 and 1,000 mA options so this will meet most of our requirements, marginally more difficult to work with from a DIY perspective.

For small builds these will work out relatively cheaper than the alternative ELN series drivers.

I have also ordered this power supply to power these drivers - 48V 480w 10A

aebayimg.cndirect.com_newcdn_65_5_6555_G_N98B.jpg

Next to the LDD driver in the top photo is a TLC5940 IC - this is a nice to have ;) It effectively provides 16 PWM pins with a 0-4095 range (compared to the standard Arduino range of 0-255) i.e. transitions will be smoother than normally available.

Now to start working on the GUI :)

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Wow... tiny. The more I look at this electronics caper the more I think I need smaller fingers and better eyes.. I sent Reefkeeper an email and no they are not doing any 240v units as yet although they said maybe in future.. The reply was prompt though ..

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
They are a tidy little unit MagicJ very similar in operation to the sure electronics driver I use. Just built to handle more LEDs, mine will only technically do 6 but I know they can do 8 - 10. With a max input voltage of 35v.

How do they work out cost wise when you add in the power supply also?

Cant wait to see how they turn out!