Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Noticed the shipping charge before, but when I'm ready I'll see if anyone else is keen on one and see how it goes.
Just waiting for the boxes to be available if that happens. Doesn't look like something that would be fun to custom build an enclosure for.
An enclosure could be difficult, especially with the buttons they use on that module. That was one of the reasons I went with my screen and a seperate keypad.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Not surprising. If I had to, I'd be inclined to build an enclosure that could be opened for button access, otherwise it would just show the display. Anyway, at least I know how to sort out the lighting side of things. I'll worry about controlling mains devices once I actually know what I'm doing in the tank.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It has been an interesting discussion today, thanks David.

I have printed out the sketch for the Typhoon and will have a look over it whilst I watch Australia beat Ireland - I looked over it a few months ago as part of the Reefcentral thread and don't imagine there will have been many changes.

Cheers

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Cool - looking forward to your thoughts on the sketch.

Many thanks for your information - has so far helped me get my head around it and opened up new possibilities (it was your fault I got into DIY LEDs too :D )

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Shane I'm interested in how much that setup cost you for all the gear minus the LEDs, wouldn't a Profilux do it all and for similar pricing.?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Shane I'm interested in how much that setup cost you for all the gear minus the LEDs, wouldn't a Profilux do it all and for similar pricing.?
Are you counting my time ;) All up it has probably cost me $200 plus I have learnt a lot at the same time - the added advantage is that I can program it to do exactly what I want. However, I have probably spent 100-150 hours working on this over the past 2 years but that is just part of DIY.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Just been in touch with BoostLED about enclosures for the Typhon kits (hard to get used to it being called Typhon instead of Typhoon). Apparently no set eta on when specific cases will be available for them.
Looks like I'll be building something the hard way for this one :P

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have been asked a question relating to driving Meanwell 60-48P's with an Arduino, so I thought this was the best place to post the answer :)

This particular LED driver uses a 10v PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal to control the dimming. The problem that we have is that the Arduino only outputs a 5v PWM signal so we need to find a way to increase this to 10v.

There are a couple of options including an op-amp circuit but there are some reports of this not switching quick enough - the simplest, and cheapest, method is to use a transistor switching circuit.

This is the circuit diagram

transistor-circuit.png

So, the wire from the Arduino comes in at the left i.e. a 0-5v PWM signal. This passes through a 10k resistor to the base of the transistor. I used a standard NPN 2222A transistor (30 cents from Jaycar). The Emitter goes to Ground - this needs to be linked to the Ground from the Arduino.

VCC is a seperate 10v DC regulated voltage source (a plug pack works well) - the positive goes through a 1k resistor to the collector of the transistor. The output is now 10v - note that the output signal is an inverse of the input signal.

This is a graph of the output - Circuit 1 is as described above. Circuit 2 is an alternative circuit which was being discussed on Reef Central some time ago and, from my experience, proved to be inferior.

PWM Graph.gif

And a picture of the completed circuit - this has two seperate transistor switching circuits on the one board

Circuit-2.jpg

Circuit-1.jpg

And everything mounted in a project box

Circuit-3.jpg

Hope this answers your questions daveH - feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Just ordered some of the parts (Mega, RTC, Screen) I need for my new Arduino project. :)

Now to start looking for the extra components and get used to the programming :cool:

Gonna be picking your brains soon Magic just while I sort out the code

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Just ordered some of the parts (Mega, RTC, Screen) I need for my new Arduino project. :)

Now to start looking for the extra components and get used to the programming :cool:

Gonna be picking your brains soon Magic just while I sort out the code
No problems - I quite enjoy programming these things, although I sometimes forget the syntax when I haven't looked at it for a while.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
The brain with the lan module showed up today. Few more pieces and I'll start tinkering. Was looking around on the android app store and came across a internet Arduino controller... Interesting concept. Remote control the tank from work, and freak everyone out at home lol.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
After playing around with the Mega, I've decided to upgrade to the 2560 Rv.3. Looks like I have a 1280 mega up for grabs... lol unless I can think of something else I can use it for.

3.2" TFT touchscreen showed up today. Still trying to decide whether I should go Meanwells or the Chesters garage LED shield to drive the LEDs. Its a dimmable 4 channel LED driver that can handle up to 39watts per channel, at 350-1200mA current. Would make it a lot neater. The Jarduino controller is the focus of this build, with a few tweaks. Any input MagicJ? They also have a fan/temp/RTC controller, but I think I'll code that one.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I would love to piece one of these together, but I have done so much reading and it still makes not a lot of sense to me, electronics really isn't my thing.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I was exactly the same. But the more I read and research about the arduino it slowly starts clicking cogs in my head lol. Finding other peoples projects and going over what they've done/ used helps a lot

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
After playing around with the Mega, I've decided to upgrade to the 2560 Rv.3. Looks like I have a 1280 mega up for grabs... lol unless I can think of something else I can use it for.

3.2" TFT touchscreen showed up today. Still trying to decide whether I should go Meanwells or the Chesters garage LED shield to drive the LEDs. Its a dimmable 4 channel LED driver that can handle up to 39watts per channel, at 350-1200mA current. Would make it a lot neater. The Jarduino controller is the focus of this build, with a few tweaks. Any input MagicJ? They also have a fan/temp/RTC controller, but I think I'll code that one.
What's the reason for changing to the 2560?? The 1280 has more than enough for what you need.

I will have a closer look at the LED shield later but from my initial read I am not sure that it is pin compatible with the Mega. How many led's are you planning on running?

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I was thinking 12 mix white, 12 mix blue/royal, 2 Uv, 2 red.
I think I'll need a proto shield to use it with the mega ($15 delivered).

I still have 2 meanwell D drivers here as well