Reef Discussion

alteclansing

Aug 6, 2011
ARG!~ Rowaphos spill!
Hi all,

Noob accident. Changing Rowaphos and after flushing and hooking it all back up, I was playing with the flow and accidently blow some of it out of the Phosban reactors.

Just wondering, Can I change that corse filter pad to a filter wool to prevent crap happens again?

Now my sump floor has rowaphos on it.. damn, how to siphon it out being in a sump (ground level)...

Cheers

Hilary

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
You can change it, you'll just need to keep them clean with every change to avoid it being counterproductive. As for how to get it out of the sump... suck really hard ;)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hi Hilary,
Sorry to hear about your accident, but also glad to hear I'm not the one who has a Womble moment :)

I can't see that as a problem. The only thing I would check is to see how the flow has changed with using the wool. You may have to increase to flow slightly. It would also depend on how thick a layer you used in the reactor. Water would flow through the course filter easier then a pack of filter wool.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
I can't see that as a problem. The only thing I would check is to see how the flow has changed with using the wool. You may have to increase to flow slightly. It would also depend on how thick a layer you used in the reactor. Water would flow through the course filter easier then a pack of filter wool.
While true, I don't think the difference would be appreciable in comparison to the head that trying to fluidise the GFO in the first place would cause.

alteclansing

Aug 6, 2011
lol they are $99 those battery operated Eheim ones... they can sit in my sump for a while until i do a water change, put a pump in there and pump the water out and clean it that way :-)