Reef Discussion

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Artificial Incubation of Bangai Cardinalfish Eggs
Hi All,

Just thought that I would post a pic of my DIY egg tumbler that I use to incubate the eggs of Bangai Cardinal Fish. These eggs have only just been striped from the parent and are less then a week of naturally being released. At this stage, their survival rate is relatively high. However, in order to keep the eggs alive, they must remain suspended with a gentle flow of water. To achieve this, I use an airpump inserted into the top of the bottle, to which has been added a clear plastic tube. This movement of water, created by the uplift of bubbles causes water to be drawn in through the bottom of the bottle and over the eggs.

Cheers, Chris.

Artificial Cardinal fish egg incubation.JPG
Eggs 1.JPG
Eggs 2.JPG

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hi Guys/Gals,
Just thought I would post an update of the progress of the Bangai eggs. Most have hatched with relatively few casualties. They are now swimming and are 4 weeks post laying. At this stage, they would still be in the father's mouth as they are living of their yolk sacs. See video below (sorry about the orientation!).
Cheers, Chris.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
An update of the progress of these little fish. Please see video below. No losses since hatching and very vigerous feeders. Am rainsing the juveniles in a sub tank in the main display which ensure good water quality and high food levels. Fish are 16 days post hatching.