Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
[as Pair] Wild Caught Clowns (how Much These Days?)
3 questions:
  1. What's normally prettier and brighter in their orange color? Percula or Occy?
  2. How much do they cost these days (as a pair)?
  3. Do you know where I can get one (pair) these days?
amunionthis.files.wordpress.com_2016_06_common_clownfish_rvs_f0ae69ae8f062bfafe6c5b7e301ecad33.jpg

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
On top of my questions above my fellow reefers, what would you suggest? Anemone 1st then Clowns or vice versa?

It is not a question if they are already sold together but sometimes and most times they don't.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I bought Percula clowns because I thought they were brighter. It was about 6 or 7 years ago and I paid about $30 each for them and they ended up pairing (still to this day).
I think prices have gone way up though especially for pairs of anything.
I would just buy one large and one small and see how they go together.

Anemone or clowns first? Doesn't matter. They don't need each other to survive.
If your tank is mature enough then you could get a nem first if you like.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You can do both together. You might want to get the anemone first and let it settle in. I have a pair that I use when I get ritteri anemones in to help them settle in. I'd give them to you if you weren't 1/2 a world away, lol. I can't remember where I even got that pair, Bali or The Philippines. Do be forewarned, they can be miserable bastards in a tank, especially if they're going to be wild caught. These 2 will charge the glass if they're guarding eggs and they have no issues making me bloody if I go to take their anemone. The occys that M had were the same way, but this percula pair is just insane.