Reef Discussion

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Ato Suggestions
I will be moving away from my manual float ATO and would like to hear peoples opinions and recommendations as to what is a good ATO?

So many options out there :)

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
I got an Aqua Medic ATO that i cant fault
Cant help with comparisons as this is my first ATO.
12 months in and no issues with it at all so far

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I was using a DYI unit for a couple of years but have now moved to a Coral Box A100 which works great.
Compact unit and hasn't skipped a beat. Price is good also.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I got Aqua one, works off floats 2 in the detection area and one float to protect the pump in the reservoir section. :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
If I ever replace my Smart ATO, it will be with one of these so I can have an IBC 1000Lof RODI stored 30m away in my back shed instead of having my RODI unit squished behind the cabinet (hard to access and inspect) and would also free up the space the reservoir is taking in my cabinet:

https://spectrapure.com/Ultra-Precise-Auto-Top-Off-System-with-Magnetic-Probe-Holder
Sam, do you know how the 'Fluid level sensor tube' actually works - it looks like it could work on air pressure??

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Sam, do you know how the 'Fluid level sensor tube' actually works - it looks like it could work on air pressure??
Sure do, the litremeter uses the same as an overflow protection. You are correct, it is pressure sensing switch

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Just get a Tunze ,
every other "smart" ATO has been a PIA for me.
otherwise, if you are using an APEX just add a float switch.
I'm with @RobbieMVFC on this one - get the Tunze 3155 ATO (not the Nano) and you can't go wrong.
The 3155 is on my short list. I love Tunze products and the stream pumps I have are all excellent quality and reliable.

Are you guys pumping the ro/di straight into your sumps or displays? I have read some differing opinions on this.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
The 3155 is on my short list. I love Tunze products and the stream pumps I have are all excellent quality and reliable.

Are you guys pumping the ro/di straight into your sumps or displays? I have read some differing opinions on this.
I have heard (not sure if its true or not ) Short spurts of On and Off RO/Di units will shorten the life span of the filters.
I have an RO section in my sump that holds about 60 liters.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I have a Tunze 8555 (RO/DI solenoid) that makes RO into my reservoir (about 50L at a time) and a separate 8155 that tops off from the reservoir to the DT.

You are correct - don't turn a RD/Di unit on/off quickly. The first 10-30 seconds isn't 0 TDS anyway ;-)

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I have heard (not sure if its true or not ) Short spurts of On and Off RO/Di units will shorten the life span of the filters.
I have an RO section in my sump that holds about 60 liters.
I have a Tunze 8555 (RO/DI solenoid) that makes RO into my reservoir (about 50L at a time) and a separate 8155 that tops off from the reservoir to the DT.

You are correct - don't turn a RD/Di unit on/off quickly. The first 10-30 seconds isn't 0 TDS anyway ;-)
That is correct with the TDS creep. I meant to say pumping RO/DI from a storage tank, not directly from the RO/DI unit :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I have 6 of the JBJ ATO units and have never had an issue with them. The Tunze pump just died after a year of use, not too happy about that.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I have 6 of the JBJ ATO units and have never had an issue with them. The Tunze pump just died after a year of use, not too happy about that.
yeah I never understood that. People rave about the Tunze, despite having to constantly buy replacement pumps.... There isn't much more to a ATO than the pump!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
With the JBJ systems, the key is to get the correct size pump for the job. I changed to larger pumps and I don't have any issues with them. If I'm going to be replacing a $30 pump yearly, that Tunze unit is going down the road next year. I talked to one of the wholesalers and he said that's their biggest complaint, pumps that die after a year- 18 months.