Reef Discussion

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Ato - What Do You Use?
I've been using the Smart ATO which when it works is brilliant, trouble is that bits keep failing so I'm looking for another option. I would really love to know/see what you use and your recommendations.

I have to sort something out pretty quick as manually filling is driving me nuts. Ideally the pump should fit through the mouth of a standard 20ltr drum. That was one thing I liked about the smart ato.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
There was a really good one put together here on the forum a couple of years ago.
If you don't mind doing a little bit of wiring and soldering you end up with a really reliable unit. Mine's been running perfectly since then.
I can put up a diagram and some pics for you if you feel like putting one together - it's certainly not as compact as the Smart ATO but from what I've been reading it's certainly more reliable and durable.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I use the tunze ATO with the 716 controller
Hasn't failed once.
We bought second hand at 3yrs old and we have had it 3yrs ourselves.
So 6yrs still going strong.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Thanks Dave but I have no fine motor skills on my left side anymore which makes detail work problematic. I still do a bit but not enough control for electronics, thanks for offering though.

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
I currently use a DOSEmate because I build it, but I have been using Tunze osmolators for more than 10 years and I recommend it.
The pumps needs to be replaced every 3-4 years, though.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I currently use a DOSEmate because I build it, but I have been using Tunze osmolators for more than 10 years and I recommend it.
The pumps needs to be replaced every 3-4 years, though.
Oh thanks for that. Ours still ok on year 6 so will keep close eye on it. :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I use the Aqua one- it uses three float switches and a pump. A high level and low level float plus a low level anti run dry float for the pump.
This suits my sump as my sump houses equipment not livestock.
I siliconed the sucker cups to the glass.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
I have an ELOS on one tank, smart ATO on the other, the ELOS is better.

At the moment though I am doing it MANWELL because i got a ton of junk in the way and i havent finished setting up both tanks under the hood the way i'd like

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Another Tunze fan boy here. Rock solid units. We know they are expensive, but have proven to go the distance. You want the best, be prepared to pay some $$$ (whether it's Tunze or not).

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I use the Aqua one- it uses three float switches and a pump. A high level and low level float plus a low level anti run dry float for the pump.
This suits my sump as my sump houses equipment not livestock.
I siliconed the sucker cups to the glass.
Does it come with a pump, if not what pump do you use?

I'm a bit nervous about floats in case snails jam them.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Does it come with a pump, if not what pump do you use?

I'm a bit nervous about floats in case snails jam them.
Comes with a pump.
Worth a look at , but as you point out the snails- that said my auto top of reservoir is calculated not to flood the tank in normal conditions or flood the sump in power outage.
That's how I designed my custom made tank.