Tank Journal Archive

grimnir

Aug 12, 2013
Parkinson
August Update
Plumbing has been completed.
Performed a leak test today and well not good.. 3 of my 5 bulk heads all leak down the thread with a steady drip.
just so happens its each of the 40mm ones.

Not a happy chappy. as due to these leaks didn't get to run water through the pipes. To finish the leak down test.
Have since stripped and redone the bulk heads, with a thin coat of silicone on the thread for the nut to help seal it.
(can easily break this seal if needed)
Will let this cure all week and do another test on the weekend.

Next step is to fit the LED strip lighting under the stand for general works.
And to start purchasing testing equipment.

100Kg of sand has been ordered and due to arrive mid week.
Next to book my water delivery once the plumbing is all good and organize 40-60Kg of live rock and get the scape happening .

Thinking of having an arch in each end and a little bit of rock just over the floor in the middle for my zoa garden.

Damaged some of my lighting wiring in the move so have to fix that up, also pondering selling my current controllers and getting StormX just so I can have it all running from one module.

E

ezza

Have you tried wrapping your threads with Teflon tape? All plumbing work needs Teflon tape. It ensures the seal is secure and is easy enough to replace.

grimnir

Aug 12, 2013
Parkinson
Yeah all threads were taped and in the right direction too. :)

Was just a slow drip that just wouldn't stop no matter how tight or loose the fittings were.
Normally do finger tight + a 1/4 turn with a wrench.

If it still leaks when I test again I'll replace the fittings.

I think the issue is because the tank was drilled for 50mm fitting and nowhere ended up having stock that would fit the hole. They all were a tapered thread design so the larger section wouldn't fit. So I went 40mm fitting which had a larger head and gasket to seal the hole. Just it left an extra 10mm gap between thread and the holes.

grimnir

Aug 12, 2013
Parkinson
Plumbing fixed. No more leaks.
Full flow test went well. Am really happy with the water movement from the 4x WP40s

Time to drain and clean the tank - sump. Then get the skimmer set at the right height and vinegar wash it.

Sand was picked up today.
2000l of water being delivered Thursday night. And 60kg of live rock arrives Friday.

Tank running for the weekend.
Still have to fix the lights.
And then tune the durso's. So damn noisy right now.

photo.JPG

Last edited:

grimnir

Aug 12, 2013
Parkinson
The cycle begins.

60Kg live rock, 60k sand. (rock has just been dropped in for now)
Thinking i'll need to add another 100 or so KG of rock to get the scape where I want it.
Planning for some structures in the open ends, and just a bit of flatish rock / cave or two in the middle.

IMG_1368[1].JPG

Hitch hikers so far have been 3 large brittle star fish, stacks of smaller ones, and a couple of small snails.

IMG_1367[1].JPG

Last edited:

grimnir

Aug 12, 2013
Parkinson
Been watching the LR over the last couple of days and have managed to find some corals *yay*
Also got around to putting the hood on and playing with the lights. - really need a better light controller.
also have to add a ATO unit to my shopping list.
Started the aqua scape, takes a while to get the damn aqua putty to hold. Should have the left side of the tank completed in the next couple of days.

I think, I have Closed Brain Coral, 2x Jardinis and a Ric. Anyone care to confirm? Just hope I can keep them alive while the tank cycles.

IMG_1372.JPG
IMG_1373.JPG
IMG_1374.JPG
IMG_1375.JPG
IMG_1377.JPG