Reef Discussion

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Automatic glass cleaners?
As to date I think the best purchase we have ever made in our house was a Roomba (for those that dont know what this is you have been wasting your life vacuming) I have been toying with the idea of putting my name down on the list for a Robosnail (automatic glass cleaner) that are due to be released latter this month

http://www.youtube.com/embed/tBh6FyDpFS0?rel=0

http://www.agiaquatics.com

So I see the downsides as it will only do the front sheet of glass and I will have a cord drapped to the front of my tank. which is messy but Im thinking this will be out weighed by the fact (?) I will always have clean glass.

The other thing that worries me is that it goes south bound into the gravel picks up a whole bunch of crud and scratches the hell out of my glass, but they say you can set the depth so it dosnt do within 3" of the bottom.

So whats everyones thoughts is this $300 down the drain or do you think the pros outweigh to cons?

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
its a very costly exercise to get your glass clean, how often would you use it and has it been tested for any bugs at all, so what happens if there is a snail on front of the glass, will it go around it or knock it off and also other concern is how much noise it makes and will it frighten your fish as well

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I do like the idea ,
But like you im thinking if it picked up a grain of sand, Just imagine the glass when you get home from work :eek

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Cost dosnt worry me if it works it works and its something that I should be doing everyday but dont. I hammer head costs $100 anyways so its more than that but not exactly out of this world more.

They have been in testing for the last 12 months, havnt heard what issues they have had/fixed, but Im assuming there would have been some otherwise it would have been released sooner?

Claims they are dead quiet wont scare fish, but I think its like anything your fish get used to it, my bangaii things my TLF magnet is another male and goes into attack mode each time I clean my glass at the moment. When I first set up my home theatre I had the sub placed poorly and the bass was ten times louder in the room behind it, the fish would jump out the the tank when I was watching action movies. They got used to it very quickly and didn't even flinch after a few days.

But I hear what your saying about being a guninue pig on an unkown product

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I do like the idea ,
But like you im thinking if it picked up a grain of sand, Just imagine the glass when you get home from work :eek
This is what concerns me most, if you do it yourself you may get 4" before you notice and have one scratch on the tank, this thing could do its whole run over the front of the tank

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld
I might try one on my 4' if I buy a new toy. The glass is scratched up anyway, so if I picks up any sand it won't matter.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I have a wall on one side of the tank , So i should be able to tuck the cord down the side out of main view ?
$300 is a bit, But if it worked id buy it , I dont even come close to cleaning the glass as often as i should so for me it would be worth it ,

Mum bought one of those Vacuums that run around the room then go back to their charger , cost a fair whack from what i remember , It was also a waste of money too , Didn't do the job , Didn't make its way back to the charger very often ,
It also didn't last very long , Why they bought it is one of those mystery's , A bit like my text changing through this post without even trying :p

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
How dare you speak ill of the roomba! hehehe

Yeah i heard the first ones had some issues we got the 560 from the US with the upgraded senors, extra suction and the longer life battery, it has been going for a year everyday at 10am and the only time it hasnt returned to the dock is when it gets stuck on the track on the built ins. As far as performance goes It does a better job than our $500 vacume.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Gotta admit, I've been seriously considering one of these puppies too. I hate going away for a few days and coming back to a build up of algae so bad I need to drag out a razor. The scratch potential is a bit scary, but otherwise I reckon these would rock.
Also considered a roomba, but I think it would have an interesting relationship with my cat.....

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I would love to see how my ferrets would react to a Roomba - they would find a way to flip it over and drag it under the couch or something. Re: automated snail - this would be GREAT for the rear glass of the tank - I hate having to clean it. Only thing I wouldn't like is it would be mean to the real snails if they or their eggs were on the glass

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Megan has a point.... A lot of snails if knocked shell down onto the floor can't right themselves and will die.... Can't imagine that'd be good for water quality :-(

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Bump ! old thread did anyone get one ?
I am thinking about getting one just to do the back wall cause it's a PIA to get to.