Reef Discussion

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Automatic Timer Recommendations?
Does anybody have a reliable timer that they can recommend?
I have tried both digital and manual dial types in the $10 - $30 range (HPM and Arlec being the most recent) and all of them have failed on at some stage. The dial reaches the time where it is supposed to switch off, I hear the click, but it stays on. Sometimes a few revolutions of the dial will get it to click off. The one digital one I tried never switched off after a few weeks, no matter what I tried.
I have had some last less than a week and others that go for a couple of months and then fail, but they always fail in the 'On' position which is a worry.
My main lights are on a led controller which switches those lights off, but I also have another set of LEDs and a T5 unit that come on for a few hours a day and these are the ones that get stuck on.
I am going away soon for a week and I don't want the lights stuck on!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Well that rules my advice out lol I'm using the slimline HPM ones from Bunnings as I have two plugged in next to each other and they've been going strong for 6 months now. As for a higher quality one I wouldn't know lol

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Quality is not what it used to be ;)

I don't trust the mechanical dial types for the reasons mentioned. But, I have been using two HPM Digital Time Switches for 5+ years and they haven't missed a beat. Google doesn't through up an image the same as mine, but they probably change the design occasionally.

@Buddy what sort of load have you been running through them?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Three timers.

1x ~320w LED. My main lights. I have this on an 8ish amp power supply.
1x ~ 120w LED
1x 160w T5

I wouldn't think that it should be much trouble to run these on a timer.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hey @Buddy

Try one of these

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-Products-Electrical/Distribution-&-Interconnect/Mains-Control-&-Protection-Devices/Mains-Timer-with-LCD/p/MS6110

I have run 2 of these for 10yrs+. They used to switch 250W MH on/off daily and now 1 does all 3 LED's I run. Never failed.
They look to be a better quality product.

I wonder why they have this note

IMPORTANT NOTICE: From 28th of April 2016 onwards, this product can no longer be sold to New South Wales customers.
What is happening to NSW on 28 April :confused:

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
They look to be a better quality product.

I wonder why they have this note

What is happening to NSW on 28 April :confused:
Probably some minor functionary's birthday. I'm sure there is a secret 'Looking For Something To Do' dept in all levels of government.:reading

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
It could also be a simple commercial decision if it is not selling well in that state. Each state and indeed each store varies in the range it carries.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
But the link is to their on-line store, not to an actual bricks & mortar store.
It's not an online store, you can't purchase on there. Its purpose is to choose a store and see if that store normally carries what you want, although there is no guarantee it's in stock.

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
I wonder if I have just been really unlucky?
I have had the same bad luck as you. I went through two mechanical timers that would not do what they were meant to. I bought another mechanical timer and third time lucky. The latest one has a bit of a retro look and is a bit fiddly to set but is very reliable so far. This one is HPM. I think they all were but this one looks a bit different. I also have an old mechanical timer running a hallway night light for the kids. Its probably more than 15 years old and never missed a beat. I agree with MagicJ that quality is not what it used to be.

MaccaPopEye

Nov 4, 2015
I have 7 of the mechanical dial, slim HPM timers (one for the ATS and 6 for the LED lights). One has only been online for a month but the other 6 have been going for almost a year now with only one failure in the off position within the first week. I do keep an eye on them though and make sure they are always working as they should.

I would like to get digital timers but I am holding out for the REEFmate to be released and then I will be able to just program on/off times into it :p