Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Automatic Top Up (stronger Pump)
I'm after a reliable ATO top up system with strong pump, strong enough for the following head pressure (in the picture).

Can you please recommend me one?

Last time I used Smart ATO; it is not strong enough to do top up like below:
awww_reef2reef_com_proxy_php_adf6384d2ecf17efd38460dc81d79743._.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
You can never go wrong with the Tunze set up. Pumps are so cheap that you can have a spare sitting in your cabinet.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Spectrapure have actually just released a new version of the ATO.

Tunze are tried and tested. For every failure you hear about I am sure there are hundreds working perfectly. My preference is not the Nano.

The head height pictured is nothing.

And a spare pump is so cheap as @Buddy said - keep a spare handy. Personally my unit is around 6+ years old and still on the first pump - never missed a beat and I would estimate 20L every 2-3 days

athawoot

Sep 16, 2015
Tunze 3155! I can't believe a smart ato can't even do that little head height lol

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Tunze 3155! I can't believe a smart ato can't even do that little head height lol
It can't and I know some of you are strong advocate of the product.

I have had it exchanged twice and when it started pumping, it just beeps out.

Anyway, they're in the past and am no longer touching it.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I got rid of my Smart ATO as well, it couldn't pump a metre. I have 4 Tunze 3155s and 4 JBJ ATO units as well as 8 gravity feed units on my runs and they work great. The JBJ is ONLY as good as the feeder pump you choose. I used too small of a pump at first and it would time out. Now I use a 400gph pump and it works like a charm.

The Tunze 5152, the nano unit, has REALLY bad reviews here in the US on Amazon so I stayed away from the smaller unit. I'd imagine that if you had a small nano it would be fine, something in the 40l max range. I think people were asking that tiny pump to do too much.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
How far are you pumping? If the smart ATO pump doesn't do it, you'll have trouble with most small impeller pumps.

Hence why I recommended the spectrapure unit. It will literally suck it push water around the block if you want and will not syphon.

Comes complete yes :)

Note - I don't run their top off, but I have heaps of the pumps for my AWC setup between four tanks. Solid units