Tank Journal Archive

babyreefer

Oct 8, 2014
Sydney
Babyreefers' Tips & Tricks
Here are my experiences, tips and tricks of enjoying this lovely hobby. I hope you will find them helpful. :reading

How NOT to do a water change

Leaving everything on while doing a water change
Why?
As you withdraw/empty the water level where your return pump is will drop > return pump will make a loud noise and start blowing bubbles into your display tank.

Leaving skimmer on while turning off the return pump.
Why?
Water will back flow into the sump > water level will rise > skimmer cup will overflow > you will end up doing a much bigger water change what you had originally planned.

Leaving your hose unattended while filling the tank
Why?
NEVER leave your hoses unattended! You may think it will stay in place but it will jump out of the tank and start spilling water all over the floor! When the hose jumps out, it is already too late. You will be cleaning up your puddle for an hour. lol

How to do a water change
  1. Prepare RODI water
  2. Add Salt mix well
  3. Add heater to match the tank temperature
  4. While I wait, I like to clean the glass.
  5. Turn off everything! ATO, Return pump, wave maker, and especially SKIMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Drain equal amount of water to what you have prepared
  7. Add newly mixed salt water to the tank. Using a pump will make life a whole lot easier. TIP! But remember when you turn the pump off and if the tube is still in the tank, water will backflow. Damn gravity~!
  8. Turn on equipment in this order
    • Return pump and wait for the usual water circulation to occur (water going over the overflow and coming back up)
    • Only when the water level is stable and at usual level, turn on everything else.

How to Frag
coming soon...

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
I've moved towards daily water changes of a small amount (10 litres) which equates to about 12-15% weekly.

Pros-
I don't have to temp match. A small amount doesn't affect temp much.

I don't have to turn anything off besides my ato. The skimmer copes with the tiny drop in water level and retunes itself after the water change.

It makes me look at my sump, I notice any changes asap.
It takes a few minutes.

Reactions: Rob

bimbo

Oct 7, 2014
Newcastle
Leaving skimmer on while turning off the return pump.
Why?
Water will back flow into the sump > water level will rise > skimmer cup will overflow > you will end up doing a much bigger water change what you had originally planned.
Ah if only I had read this yesterday :banghead I just moved from an external skimmer to an internal skimmer and turned off the return pump only to come back 10mins later to discover my skimmer overflowing and sump full of foam o_0

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Good tips. I don't turn anything off during water changes as I have set up my tank so that any water that goes in, comes out equally and my sump level stays constant.

babyreefer

Oct 8, 2014
Sydney
I've moved towards daily water changes of a small amount (10 litres) which equates to about 12-15% weekly.

Pros-
I don't have to temp match. A small amount doesn't affect temp much.

I don't have to turn anything off besides my ato. The skimmer copes with the tiny drop in water level and retunes itself after the water change.

It makes me look at my sump, I notice any changes asap.
It takes a few minutes.
Wow! So diligent.
I am too lazy...

babyreefer

Oct 8, 2014
Sydney
Good tips. I don't turn anything off during water changes as I have set up my tank so that any water that goes in, comes out equally and my sump level stays constant.
That is impressive, Do you run two pumps simultaneously?
Care to explain more?

babyreefer

Oct 8, 2014
Sydney
Ah if only I had read this yesterday :banghead I just moved from an external skimmer to an internal skimmer and turned off the return pump only to come back 10mins later to discover my skimmer overflowing and sump full of foam o_0
Lol! People with internal skimmers have been there and done that!