Tank Journal Archive

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
Back On The Bandwagon
after a 2 month hiccup i'm back to setting up my cade.

did some aqua-scaping on some dry rocks that will be the base for my rock with coral on it. not 100% happy with it. wanna push it over to the left and add another small boomie on the right.

started the cycling the tank with a prawn and a bacteria supplement. and have started to see some results after 4 days

ammonia = .01
nitrite = .01
nitrate = will test later lost my test kit :p
pos = .02

im a little concerned that the tank does bow in the front and back panel not very noticeable only about .05mm if not .025mm. when i first fillled is was 1mm each side but a day or 2 later reduced to above. should i be worried?

20141023_133821[1].jpg

20141023_133830[1].jpg

Last edited:

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Looking good. Only thing I'll put out there (and I really have no clue, so not sure why I am even raising it....) With no substrate and only minimal rock, you don't have much room for good bacteria to grow/live. This can be tackled a number of ways (especially in your sump) but just something to maybe keep in mind.

Otherwise - I love the look. When it is covered in corals will look sensational!

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
yea a am a little worried about a minimal setup especially coming from a 700l with about 200kg of LR. but very eager to give it a creak will all the other successful minimal tank out there.

ill be adding about another 20kg of rock from my old tank but has corals on it so will wait a bit and give the base rock a bit of time to establish before i add it. the sand is in my sump. its black sand so i wanna wait til i add all my rocks and suck up all the detritus before i add it to the display want it black without white stuff as long as possible. also have 2 marine pure bricks in my old tank that ill add once the sand is moved to the display. mite buy another 2 if i can get it to fit or marine pure balls or LR.

my sump is gonna be very simple. skimmer, bio pellets, heater and as much marine pure/LR as i can fit.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Don't worry about the bow at all mate. I have a Cade and I have a DIY tank my DIY bows heaps compared to the Cade, prob 2,5 mm vs same as your measurements. The Cade glass is very good quality. Flex is good.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
ammonia = 0ppm
nitrite = 2ppm
nitrate = 2ppm (first time using a red sea test kits so im not sure)
pos = .04ppm

i think my nitrite is spiking at the moment when that drops to 0 will it be ok to add a fish? its only been set up for 1 and half weeks.

i think ill be using my marron clown to cycle and then give him to a good home as my LFS did say she will most likely be 2 aggressive for my tank with my other live stock and suggested occy clowns.

she is quite aggressive and does take chunks when fish get to close but what to here what you guys think before giving away part of the family.

PS.. wish all the test kits where as easy to do as the ammonia and nitrite so simple add water add 1 scoop of powder and your done wait 3min.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I would wait at least 2 weeks after you get 0 nitrite. Your system is really fragile at this stage and you want to build up a bit of bacteria first before adding animals.
What do you mean when you say you will use your maroon clown for the cycle? Is it already in the tank now?

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
Yeah wait a bit longer for bacteria so fish will keep there slime coating, 4 weeks is a good time to start adding fish. Then again I added a blue tang and clowns as soon as I set up mine as it was an emergency and 2 years later still have them ;) You might get away with adding your maroon and occys at the same time but it's a risk, comes to the question what species clown you like more? Might also be a pain trying to get the maroon out if you wanted it out

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
ok thanks for the advice. no fish added yet was gonna add the marron for the first fish when nitrite drops. (plus 2-3 weeks as suggested) and remove and replace with occy's when the tank becomes more stable.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
aquasun for the moment. but looking at a Orphek Atlantik v2.1 wifi + the smaller 1. there was a group buy on masa that just got the lights so waiting on reviews or some other new led coming out like the maxpect startrek (ethereal) led

if only i lived in america
http://reefbuilders.com/2014/10/28/ghl-mitras-led-enjoying-massive-price-cut-weeks/

if not i think ill stick with the aquasun. how you go with yours were you able to change out the leds?

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
i have the new style cade tank :)rage) with the old style sump so cant really comment on the sump you would get. the one I've got does the job. fits everything i need has a ro water compartment. the sump isn't really designed for a refuge. but you could make it work. i think the new 1 is designed to have a refuge if u want 1 from what I've read. i mite admit its not the sump i would have designed but does the job it is made for. only thing i mite do to it is cut a hole in the sump for a drain in the back and make a auto water change but haven't got the balls for that yet. go have a look at 1 in store if there is a lfs near you.

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
aquasun for the moment. but looking at a Orphek Atlantik v2.1 wifi + the smaller 1. there was a group buy on masa that just got the lights so waiting on reviews or some other new led coming out like the maxpect startrek (ethereal) led

if only i lived in america
http://reefbuilders.com/2014/10/28/ghl-mitras-led-enjoying-massive-price-cut-weeks/

if not i think ill stick with the aquasun. how you go with yours were you able to change out the leds?
Yeah the orpheks look like sick lights, heaps pricey though hey? Yeah always good to hear reviews from familiar people. Haven't heard of the new maxspects, I stopped looking at new gear coz I'd want to upgrade haha.

Reefing in the states would be soo much cheaper and easier I reckon, lots of good brands being American :mad:

Haha ok, nah no luck those leds are hard to unsolder, because the heat is appilied from the other side of the plate they are on. I tried a 100w iron but it ended up melting the plastic on top of the LED. I've seen people using heat guns I might give that a try one day :dead

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
Yeah the orpheks look like sick lights, heaps pricey though hey? Yeah always good to hear reviews from familiar people. Haven't heard of the new maxspects, I stopped looking at new gear coz I'd want to upgrade haha.

Reefing in the states would be soo much cheaper and easier I reckon, lots of good brands being American :mad:

Haha ok, nah no luck those leds are hard to unsolder, because the heat is appilied from the other side of the plate they are on. I tried a 100w iron but it ended up melting the plastic on top of the LED. I've seen people using heat guns I might give that a try one day :dead

yea the Orphek Atlantic V2.1 Wi-Fi all caps EXPENSIVE there retail for 900usd. The top of the masa group buy says the got them for $772.50aud each

so mite need to do some neg and get some ppl together if i end up buying 1.

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=259163

or more my style wait 6 months and buy a 2nd hand 1 :P

just noticed that orphek is now on the business forum of masa.... mite have a chat ;)

Wonder why Mitras price is being slashed!!!

no clue why mitras dropped its price for 3 weeks. in 4 week you mite see a new mitras light :P

All i am im wondering is how i can get 1 for $850 :P

@Bdear22 http://reefbuilders.com/2014/06/11/maxspect-ethereal-led-2/

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
yea the Orphek Atlantic V2.1 Wi-Fi all caps EXPENSIVE there retail for 900usd. The top of the masa group buy says the got them for $772.50aud each

so mite need to do some neg and get some ppl together if i end up buying 1.

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=259163

or more my style wait 6 months and buy a 2nd hand 1 :p

just noticed that orphek is now on the business forum of masa.... mite have a chat ;)

no clue why mitras dropped its price for 3 weeks. in 4 week you mite see a new mitras light :p

All i am im wondering is how i can get 1 for $850 :p

@Bdear22 http://reefbuilders.com/2014/06/11/maxspect-ethereal-led-2/
Haha thats a hell of a discount, round a bunch of newbies up and convince them mate haha. You wouldn't want to buy a unit just 6 months old means it's no good and it's been upgraded haha. Yeah that would be the way to go.
Those maxspects are interesting heaps slick!