Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Hope you have another go at it. This version looks like a frag tank not the kick arse display tank that it was a couple months ago.
Have to agree, I loved the first scape you had, one of the best I have seen. But you seem happier with this one and given time to grow out I am sure it will kick ass too.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Have to agree, I loved the first scape you had, one of the best I have seen. But you seem happier with this one and given time to grow out I am sure it will kick ass too.
It was a beautiful scape but it also had 90% lps, It also looked horrible from the side view of the coach. This look great from both front and side plus its more sps focused now.
Sorry to disappoint

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
It was a beautiful scape but it also had 90% lps, It also looked horrible from the side view of the coach. This look great from both front and side plus its more sps focused now.
Sorry to disappoint
No disappointment, it's your aquarium and as I said you seem happier with this scape for the reasons given, so all good. Just offering my personal opinion rather than offering an insincere and generic 'looks great' :)

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
So in the last week I have increased my potassium levels from 320 up to 400.
Wow the sps have reached a new level of pop!
I also checked calc, mag, phos, kh n ph
Calc was on the low end at 380 eek
Mag was also very low at 1080
Kh 8
Ph 8.2.
Phos 0.03
Before zeovit I never had to dose mag and it was always high.
Now I have to dose calc, mag, kh and potassium at almost the same quantity.
I use the Red Sea powder. Good value for money n I use measuring teaspoons for dosing.
Calc 1/3 tspoon
Mag 1/4 tspoon
Buffer 1/4 tspoon
Morning and night.

For potassium I'm using brightwell potassium-p. it's kinda a dry crystal formula so to mix with RO i've had to boil the water first to dissolve it.
I tub with 1L of water, dosing 2ml a day

Last edited:

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
I was dosing 2 ml a day but it was not sufficient. I'm now using 10ml morning and night. TBH i really don't think brightwell is a brand that is strong nor clean.

I also have been using there salt for a while, i don't know if i just have a bad batch but the salt is leave brown residue all over my containers and clings onto the magnet of the pump like a brown heavy metal

Two pictures show what is left on the container after mixing for 24 with large power head.

This never happened with red sea. This will be my last brightwell salt purchase.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2 copy.JPG

Attachments

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
That's a weird residue, if it clings to the pump you'd assume it has to be metal based. I'm amazed at how quickly those plating montis have healed and started to grow again.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
That's a weird residue, if it clings to the pump you'd assume it has to be metal based. I'm amazed at how quickly those plating montis have healed and started to grow again.
Thanks One fell into a hammer a few weeks ago. it burnt back about 20% but has just regrown.
All my corals have been much healthier under zeo.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
so I've now split my phytoplankton twice. Thanks @timmeh1
Anyone needing phyto in vic This guy is a great help. You can also buy the food for plankton split your culture and the bottles come with instructions printed on them

I only had 10K cree lights, have been all good so far.

photo.jpg

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
so I've now split my phytoplankton twice. Thanks @timmeh1
Anyone needing phyto in vic This guy is a great help. You can also buy the food for plankton split your culture and the bottles come with instructions printed on them

I only had 10K cree lights, have been all good so far.

View attachment 43951
So, tell me more... Your tank has really nice colours. I'm sure a lot of it is to do with husbandry and Zeo, but I'm interested in growing a culture. Do they look after themselves or do they require maintenance/cost? Any chance you have a good "DIY" thread lying around?

PS. Scape is growing out really nicely.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Th
So, tell me more... Your tank has really nice colours. I'm sure a lot of it is to do with husbandry and Zeo, but I'm interested in growing a culture. Do they look after themselves or do they require maintenance/cost? Any chance you have a good "DIY" thread lying around?

PS. Scape is growing out really nicely.
Thank you, the health and colour of sps is definitely zeo, i didn't have any sos colours before zeo even thoufh i looked after the tank with regular water changes and testing.

The phyto is also easy. Split 50% of the culture every 8 days.
You can buy the culture n the food off timmeh for $20 and it all comes with instructions

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Ok i just checked all water. The only things that were out were.

Calc 370
mag 1020

I think this confirms that the corals have increased growth rate. Not sure if tank is maturing or if its because i have been feeding live phytoplankton or both.

my red sea phos test kit has dried up though. @Cosby do you have one i could borrow to do a test? till i can buy one.