Reef Discussion

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
Bacterial Additives
hi everyone just curious about what everyone uses in terms of a bacterial addative, like i know alot of people use different nitrate and phosphate removers that feed the bacteria but are you adding bacteria additive? e.g. using zeo bac and NO3 x P04 x by red sea?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
hi everyone just curious about what everyone uses in terms of a bacterial addative, like i know alot of people use different nitrate and phosphate removers that feed the bacteria but are you adding bacteria additive? e.g. using zeo bac and NO3 x P04 x by red sea?
I'm not practicing carbon dosing ATM.
I have seen some good results with continuum brand bacteria and carbon dosing, interestingly I smelt the continuum brand of carbon source and to me it smelt like glutaraldehyde.
I can't confirm that though however this is a different direction to the alcohol based versions other companies are promoting.
As for phos and nitrate removal I have been using a Siporax hotel for my bacteria to colonise.

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
siporax hotel? whats siporax. yeah i just ordered some continuum bacteria gen m, just curious about what everyone else uses these days everyone just talks about there colour enhancing additives

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
I have used many of them in the past, Continuum definitely a good choice. I have dosed clean-m in the past and it wiped out all the GHA I had in the tank, amazing stuff. It definitely helps carbon dosing work better in some situations.

Check out the Siporax/Matrix thread on this forum which Wrangy created, one of the best threads ever on this forum.

Basically Siporax/Matrix are filter media with a crap load of space for bacteria to live and grow.

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
oh yeah i got some stuff thats similar to matrix just not that brand lol ill have a look for that thread is there any good threads on liquid carbon dosing and different products. its really hard to find info thats product based that doesn't have conflicting info and making it confusing lol.
cheers