Tank Journal Archive

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Base Rock Soak
It's been a few weeks since my last update and I have made up enough RO/DI to fill both my 200L containers. I am going to start the slow process of soaking all my base rock, to rid it of any bound phosphates. The solution is dilution !

I have had all sorts of dramas with unwanted pests and organisms when my tanks have been set up in the past with purely live rock, and I want to have complete control over what I am adding to the system.

The base rock (70kg) has been sitting in my parents back yard in a plastic container since 2010 and is ready for soaking, curing and scaping.

The last time I soaked the base rock in RO/DI, the process took about 5 weeks to see a zero reading on my Hannah Phosphate Meter - we'll see how long this batch takes :)

Tank is still a fair way away as other projects have popped up around the house, and one of them is finishing the preperation and modifying the area where the tank will reside.

Sterlo

May 1, 2015
Townsville
is it a pure RO/DI soak and nothing else? what is your process for this? Soak with power heads and regular water changes???

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
is it a pure RO/DI soak and nothing else? what is your process for this? Soak with power heads and regular water changes???
Yes, pure RO/DI. This time around I am only using a large airstone placed at the bottom of the containers for circulation. I am planning to change out 100% of the water weekly, time permitting.

smash it with some lanthium... perfect time to rip into it.
I am just going to use water changes at this stage - there is no way for me to export the flocculant from the containers as I am not using any form of mechanical filtration.

The phosphate remover is definitely an option when I'll be curing the rock in saltwater with my skimmer after I am happy with the phosphate readings :)