Reef Discussion

iluvnanos

Jul 4, 2012
Beginner nano reef dosing
Hi guys I'm new reef keeping and having started up my first nano system and having it half way through the cycle I thought you guys could help so I bought the seachem fundamentals pack and I was wondering when I should start dosing

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
do you have test kits? in a nano you wont need to add for ages, Water changes should keep it stable for now

iluvnanos

Jul 4, 2012
Yeah I've got all the test kits I read somewhere that when cycling you should do a 10% water change every 4 days what's your opinion

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
no, water changes will delay your cycle. Wait until its complete then do around 25-30% a week (either in one go or 2 smaller ones) for 2-3 weeks for the tank and levels to stabalise a bit, then start light stocking.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I would only water change if the ammonia levels get too bad, definitely not for a couple of weeks. A 'soft cycle' can help hitchikers survive but makes the cycle period longer.

As for dosing, definitely don't worry about it until you have some corals that require stable levels. Just do reasonably sized water changes and you will be fine.