Reef Discussion

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
New nitrate test kit came looks to be at 10ppm looking good for the third day

Am I right in thinkin that you nano has cycled for three day so far. How long has the nano been set up? Some like to and some don't like to do water changes during cycling. I prefer to, just my opinion. I understand some (Newbies) think cycling tank can is boring or you may just have an itchy finger as far as buying fish and coral. Just remember that you are establishing the fundamental bio filtration/eco system for your tank. Prob one of the most important steps in reef keeping. Take your time.

I wouldn't recommend you not even think about dosing as you are new and have so much to learn before you learn about dosing. 99% of nano's will get everything they need from waterchanges. SPS nano may require dosing but again I would recommend you try SPS for quite a while. If your really want to dose thats fine but you need something (coral/fish/inverts) to consume elements/Cal/Alk, etc before you start dosing it back in.

I would be concentrating on testing Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate in that particular order, If your not sure why that order, do some reading about the nitrate cycle. If you haven't read this great post by Ben (nork), then do so immediately

http://www.thereefuge.com.au/board/threads/so-newbie-you-want-a-reef-tank.504/

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
No sweat, I will just say take ur time, read/research, and ask heaps of question. Also just incase you have been lead astray, careful who you get advise from (not to say I'm any better ;)) . I noticed from your pics and from your post you have just setup a nano as of Tuesday and you already have Nitrate, KH, Phosphate test kits along with Trace Elements, Cal, Alk. Now there is nothing wrong with having these items already and I'm not sure if this is the case or not and dont want to accuse anyone of anything, but I wouldn't thing that you need KH and Phosphate test kits along with Trace Elements, Cal, Alk for quite a while yet......... Wouldn't want a LFS taking advantage of a newbie.

Thoughts anyone????

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Hey, hope Im helping and not confusing u. click my name and "add friend". Cheers

iluvnanos

Jul 4, 2012
No not confusing me just want the tank to be perfect and be prepared for a lot more questions

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
Love to see the help others here are giving I wish I was able to find the same online when I was starting my tank up!

Gl with the setup but looks like a few are leading u in the right way!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
No sweat, I will just say take ur time, read/research, and ask heaps of question. Also just incase you have been lead astray, careful who you get advise from (not to say I'm any better ;)) . I noticed from your pics and from your post you have just setup a nano as of Tuesday and you already have Nitrate, KH, Phosphate test kits along with Trace Elements, Cal, Alk. Now there is nothing wrong with having these items already and I'm not sure if this is the case or not and dont want to accuse anyone of anything, but I wouldn't thing that you need KH and Phosphate test kits along with Trace Elements, Cal, Alk for quite a while yet......... Wouldn't want a LFS taking advantage of a newbie.

Thoughts anyone????
your right there to a degree, he wont need to test for much until he starts stocking it with coral. completing decent water changes in such a small talk will keep the levels close to right, once you start stocking it test the water weekly adjust levels from those results, i only test my water once every few months to check that im keeping everything in the right boundarys after a while you start to learn what your tank needs and what to look for if something is going wrong

David

Aug 20, 2012
Melbourne
I prefer to hold off on hte waterchanges during cycle... jsut let everything settle in faster. if you start getting big algae growth then i change water

iluvnanos

Jul 4, 2012
had a fight with my dad he shut down the aquarium but i have now worked things out and have 2 nanos will start a tank tj now