Tank Journal Archive

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Bengai Bargain!
Went to a lfs this morning and picked up some fish off the bucket list. Took the three biggest and hope they pair up. Three for under $60!! I have seen these around for $30 - $40 each!!!
image.jpg

They have been drip acclimating for 40 mins now so should settle in ok.... I hope

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I second the vent method if the fish are big enough to see the vents. Has worked 100% of the times I've been aware of :)

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I have heard of the vent method but these guys arent quite full size yet. Would I be correct in thinking one has a pointy bit and the other doesn't? The lfs said he would trade for coral if and when they pair up. Now all I have to do in be patient I guess ;)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Yeah can be hard to spot the vents, but get up and close and you should see them (when they get a little bigger). Just pick one that has one and another that had two :)

May 16, 2014
not that anyone needs me to agree with what was said, but I wanted to agree with what has been shared here so far. Vent method has also worked for me successfully (100% when large enough to tell them apart...although not always large enough when purchased) and also agree that I have had zero success with keeping more than 2 together...and even then I've had some pairs 'turn' on each other. good luck. these are actually my favorite fish in the hobby. were they wild caught or aquacultured? I haven't had much luck with wild caught.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Tank bred. I am a fan of getting stock thats not wild caught if possible. They are all smallish so they will grow together. They are all in a 5 foot tank with heaps of hidey holes so hopefully the agression should be kept to a minimum but as usual with this hobby not everything goes to plan but time will tell.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Well, now there are only two left. The "pair" that is left got relly chummy and excluded the third of the party. Before I could whip him out he has disapeared. The two dominant ones eat from my fingers and will eat anything but wouldnt let the third near any food, or even into open water for that matter. Well I hope the two that are left are boyand girl!!