Tank Journal Archive

pummerz

Jul 20, 2013
Hove
Ben's 4ft Reef Tank
Introduction:

Hi My name is Ben, i have had a small 130 litre AR620t marine aquarium for the past 2.5 years. Which had mainly softies and anemones 2 ocellaris clown fish, 1 lawnmower blennie and a pink spotted shrimp goby. I also had a couple of SPS which i had for about 6 months but found it really hard to maintain the water quality, so they started to brown out. Hopefully with the new 4ft which i was recently given i will be able to maintain the water quality a lot easier with the increased volume.

Reefing Since:1 January 2011

System Objectives: Healthy reef aquarium with minimal live rock in the display

Type of reef: Fish, SPS,

Display System: 4ft with right hand overflow

Initial Fill Date: July 2013

Display Tank Dimensions: 1220mm L, 410mm D, 490mm H

Display Lighting: Aquaone MG600

Stand: Homemade Timber

Sump Design: 700mm L, 340mm D, 400mm H, 3 section (skimmer, refugium, return pump and heaters)

NSW or ASW: NSW

Display Water circulation: 1 Vortech MP40wes, 1 Tunze 6025

Return Pump: Aquaone 2500lph

Skimmer: Deltec SC1455

Evaporation Top Up: RODI

The Old Tank (will be shut down once the new one is fully up and running)
2.JPG

The New Tank
6.JPG

The New Sump and Deltec Skimmer
7.JPG

Sorry about the crappy iphone pics i will try and get some better ones up soon

Cheers,
Ben...

Last edited:

pummerz

Jul 20, 2013
Hove
Thanks @Dr. Schell.

Yeah one of the reasons for the upgrade the nem was getting to big for the old tank.
Not sure about the scape yet im pretty happy with the little bommie on the left, but will probably re-jig the clump on the right, as i still have all the LR in my old tank and my sump is overflowing with LR already. I will have a play once the new tank has cycled then offload some of the LR that doesnt work.

Cheers,
Ben...

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I love the look of bommies in a tank. This is what naturally forms in reefs and it can be a great effect having a contrast from the 'typical' rock wall.

pummerz

Jul 20, 2013
Hove
Nice tanks Dr. Schell, your BTA is a fair size. Looks great.

Darren S thanks mate not sure if ill keep the scape the same yet. Once my nitrates drop down from the cycle ill have a play and see what I can come up with before I transfer everything from the old tank.

Cheers,
Ben...