Reef Discussion

What do you think is the BEST nitrate test kit available to most hobbyists in Oz?

• Salifert

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Red Sea

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Hanna Checker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nyos

• Coral reef

• Elos

• Other

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Best Nitrate Test Method?
What do you think is the BEST nitrate test kit available to most hobbyists in Oz?

I'm deciding what to with in the future.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
is there a hanna egg nitrate kit. i think it would fly of shelf if there was.

i like the sal but i haven't tried the others expect the redsea and didn't like it

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I've only used Red Sea and API, hence I voted for Red Sea. Can't say Red Sea is better than any of the others I haven't used.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I can't see that bit, maybe he has me blocked, doesn't matter.

I heard that Hanna did develop an HC type nitrate checker p[rototype but there was some issue with positioning of the led/laser in an HC outer. I can't remember the details now though.

I'm considering one of these. A little pricey but I guess you get what you pay for and these are lab grade. They are way too expensive to buy here but if the dollar rate improves, getting one from the US is a possibility.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
$220 USD from Hanna US compared to $471 AUD from Hanna Australia - the Aussie dollar must have crashed more than I thought :confused: Or postage must cost a lot from America; or we are getting ripped off !!

Still, the price isn't as high as I might have imagined.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Not sure I agree. Other eggs basically check for the "colour" difference between a base and a reacted sample. Given they already have the re-agents and the LED's sussed out not sure why this unit is soooooo expensive compared to the eggs. Maybe slightly cheaper components could be used to make an egg with slightly less accurate results? (I'm pretty sure other eggs are just less accurate cousins of the flagship models)

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
$220 USD from Hanna US compared to $471 AUD from Hanna Australia - the Aussie dollar must have crashed more than I thought :confused: Or postage must cost a lot from America; or we are getting ripped off !!

I'm not sure what Hanna Australia is up to but it's not good. HC checkers have increased from around the $65 mark to around the $99 mark (that's around a 50% increase) yet the same units in America have not increased in price and the dollar hasn't moved anywhere near that much.

My daughter will be living in the U.S. again soon as part of her study, although only for 8 months. So I might get her to buy one and either ship it or bring it back with her.

Last edited:

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Of course this is what I would really like.:worship

hanna.jpg

HI83099 COD Meter and Multiparameter Benchtop Photometer
$1,150.00

The HI83099 COD Meter and Multiparameter Photometer for chemical oxygen demand (COD) and specific ion measurement combines accuracy and ease of use in an ergonomic benchtop design. This meter is one of the most versatile photometers in the market, offering 47 different measurement methods including COD with ready-made liquid or powder reagents. The HI83099 has many advanced features including a graphic LCD to display various chemical forms and a step-by-step tutorial mode for inexperienced users.

ahannainst.com_media_wysiwyg_products_portables_photometers_photom_param.png

Up to 47 measurement methods including COD

http://hannainst.com/products/bench...r-and-multiparameter-benchtop-photometer.html

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
There's a lot of mention on Red Sea Pro ... apology to revive this old thread.

Those that uses Red Sea Pro Nitrate test kit, when you say best:
  • Is it best from economical perspective because it lasts longer
    or
  • Is it best because easy to differentiate when the color change so more accurate measurement
?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yeah both. Maybe not so much the cost, as once it's purchased the price is forgotten. I just find it easy to use and a good range for the home aquarium

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
For me it's the colour differentiation and also the consistency.

My gripe with Red Sea is I ave broken the lids off at least three of the reagent bottles by over tightening them. Seems really easy to do.

My second gripe is that no matter how accurate the tests are, they only give you basic syringes that are not that accurate so overall the accuracy is lower than what you might think.

Nevertheless, I get consistent result with the Nitrate and KH test kits and that's what matter - it's not how accurate it is, it's how precise it is because I want to compare from one week to another to test stability.