Tank Journal Archive

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Beyond A Joke Now....
2 more jumpers this week, what the actual - - - -?

in order..

yellow watchman goby (ok prone to it)
Sandhopper Blenny
Flame hawk
Rudy Red Dragonnett
Banana Wrasse

Could I have a mantis shrimp ambushing them when they rest? - there is 1 not so big gorilla crab but the general consensus from LFS is they wouldn't cause a problem

thats about the only I can think of now

Lid coming in a week but some of these fish are not known as jumpers so.....

Not much clicking from the tank, there is a pistol shrimp in there

Last edited:
E

ezza

Is there anything in the room that might be making loud sudden noises or popping up in front of the aquarium and scaring them?

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
No the room is mostly quiet throughout the day, it's my wardrobe room, my wife and I don't go in unless we are home from work and even then we are fairly quiet and they all greet us with a swim to the top looking for food!

My dogs don't go into the room unless we are in it and they don't seem to be able to see the fish or pay any attention if they are inside but they are mostly outside, I have a monitoring camera that sends updates to my phone if there is any motion in the room so I'd know if they come in...

I'll grab some tomorrow...

really devo

E

ezza

No the room is mostly quiet throughout the day, it's my wardrobe room, my wife and I don't go in unless we are home from work and even then we are fairly quiet and they all greet us with a swim to the top looking for food!

My dogs don't go into the room unless we are in it and they don't seem to be able to see the fish or pay any attention if they are inside but they are mostly outside, I have a monitoring camera that sends updates to my phone if there is any motion in the room so I'd know if they come in...

I'll grab some tomorrow...

really devo
You have a wardrobe room?! You must dress pretty ;) It is quite the mystery! I think that if you can rule out water quality, predators and shock, there's no easy answer without evidence. The last time my fish behaviour was off, it turned out to be the giant fireworm creeping around the tank. I have removed so many worms now, I'm surprised there haven't been more losses. Just cover it up in any way possible and hang in there until your cover comes.

Apr 20, 2013
sorry for you losses :cry

all the fish you have mentioned are prone to "riding" the glass. particularly at night.
they swim along the glass and if there is no bracing or cover on the tank they can end up propelling? (terrible with English) themselves out of the tank.
it is more likely to occur if the fish are startled, but all the fish listed are very prone to this behavior.
a local plastic place should be able to knock up a neat looking frame to perimeter the top of the glass, and notch out a groove to fit a netting or screen, like a fly screen kit.
make it as thin as possible to keep the aesthetics of the tank.

if you have ever had a fresh water tank with Cory's in it, they are the masters of glass surfing :)

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
You have a wardrobe room?! You must dress pretty ;) It is quite the mystery! I think that if you can rule out water quality, predators and shock, there's no easy answer without evidence. The last time my fish behaviour was off, it turned out to be the giant fireworm creeping around the tank. I have removed so many worms now, I'm surprised there haven't been more losses. Just cover it up in any way possible and hang in there until your cover comes.

I am a dapper chap :p

big house no kids, sick mothers living with us, I have a fish room where i get dressed, maybe thats whats spooking them!

I cant see any predators and i check the tank at night frequently, removed a few worms but nothing major, just that crab and the odd small worm...

Will do a bunnings run and use the netting till the proper one comes.

@Deerpark Aquarium a few of the fish exhibit the behavior of swimming against the glass like that but not all of them, certainly not the banana wrasse, he was perfectly fine for months, they seem to be jumping during the day too, lots of light.. shouldn't be startled easy, IDK very upset.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I don't know how much merit there is in my thoughts but I like a little bit of light for the tank at night, not complete darkness , my thoughts are enough light so the fish can navigate the tank but not too much so they are disturbed.
My light source is ambient from outside, I always leave the curtains open in the living room.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
I keep my lights on moonlight mode till about 12:30am then they go out, I have the laptop on with the seneye though as some light in the room..