Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
ok so from what I can see, that red pipe is just the outlet? Can you modify it to go over the bubble traps in your sump into the return pump chamber?
I have been looking at it, if i take the red tube off, and put on a flexible one with a bend in it and pump it back in to first chamber before the skimmer, just hope it will not compromise performance, what do you think? and thanks for your help

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I think that would work fine, as long as it is just an outlet for the reactor (certainly looks to be). Just be careful as it may have a cut out in it that you twist to regulate the outlet flow

ezza

Sep 17, 2017
Wellington, NZ
Dame Just received my new reactor from fish street and it will not fit in my sump no matter what i try
Susan, we have the same tank. I recently bought a fish street Skimmer which is probably the same size as yours. When it sits on the floor of the sump, technically it is below the optimal water level. I put all of my Matrix and Marine Pure balls in the centre under the Skimmer. It means you can then reclaim some space. Maybe then you could fit the reactor in?

Here's a pic:
IMG_3294.JPG

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Susan, we have the same tank. I recently bought a fish street Skimmer which is probably the same size as yours. When it sits on the floor of the sump, technically it is below the optimal water level. I put all of my Matrix and Marine Pure balls in the centre under the Skimmer. It means you can then reclaim some space. Maybe then you could fit the reactor in?

Here's a pic:
View attachment 57179
Thanks for that,will your skimmer work well sitting up so high?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I think that would work fine, as long as it is just an outlet for the reactor (certainly looks to be). Just be careful as it may have a cut out in it that you twist to regulate the outlet flow
OK i have it in there but the pellets don't seem to move much, they sit on the bottom and just move a little

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Probably a bit much (although I am no bio pellet expert) for the tank, but would def seem to be too much for the reactor if they aren't tumbling well

ezza

Sep 17, 2017
Wellington, NZ
with your pellet volume, i would go much much slower. i think you should start at 50g. i have used pellets and found it very hard to manage the bacteria produced by them. with too much in the device, you will find everything crashes and you will get clogged up with snotty textured goop.

i have just turned my reactor off. while it helped me get down to ultra low nutrient levels, it has released the bacteria into my system so now i have a problematic deep red furry velvet-like algae that is very hard to get rid of.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
with your pellet volume, i would go much much slower. i think you should start at 50g. i have used pellets and found it very hard to manage the bacteria produced by them. with too much in the device, you will find everything crashes and you will get clogged up with snotty textured goop.

i have just turned my reactor off. while it helped me get down to ultra low nutrient levels, it has released the bacteria into my system so now i have a problematic deep red furry velvet-like algae that is very hard to get rid of.
Ok thanks, so how many grams would 500ml be?

ezza

Sep 17, 2017
Wellington, NZ
Ok thanks, so how many grams would 500ml be?
The little red pellets come in a 186g packet. It looks like maybe a cup? So you might have 360g or so? Pretty bad guess... in a nutshell just use heaps less. You don't want there to be a huge and sudden impact when they start working. After a couple of weeks add another small amount. Then when you test and see the nitrates reducing you need to just let it do the work before topping up pellets as they get used up. You'll get used to the quantity you need, mark the level where the pellets sit as the nutrient levels plateau. You want to keep your pellets at that level.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
The little red pellets come in a 186g packet. It looks like maybe a cup? So you might have 360g or so? Pretty bad guess... in a nutshell just use heaps less. You don't want there to be a huge and sudden impact when they start working. After a couple of weeks add another small amount. Then when you test and see the nitrates reducing you need to just let it do the work before topping up pellets as they get used up. You'll get used to the quantity you need, mark the level where the pellets sit as the nutrient levels plateau. You want to keep your pellets at that level.
Thanks it just said 500ml on the bag, no grams, and i put that in over a week