Reef Discussion

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
BIO PELLET REACTORS
not sure if this has been covered before but im looking to upgrade my modded tlf 150 reactor with a "better" 1 im thinking of 1 of the following

RLSS FR4
http://www.saltysupply.com/RLSS-FR4-4-Inch-Media-Reactor-p/h2o1127.htm

JNS BioPellet Reactors
http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.c...a-2-biopellet-fluidize-reactor/prod_3055.html

The BRS look a like DIY reactor that @Damjan did
http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/diy-bio-pellet-ac-gpf-reactor.5921/

Reef Octopus BR70

or any Bio-pellet reactor I've over looked im leaning towards the JNS reactor only because i tend to not like lots of tubes in my sump and the cool swirling action :D

very keen to hear what u guys think

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
I just got a JNS goes well man, haven't put any pellets in it yet though waiting for my levels to drop. FYI don't put media in there it just crushes it, if you want to run media there's another model. Biggest thing that done it for me is placement of the pump underneath as I had no space to run a reactor external

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
Oh one shit thing about it is you have to twist and lift the whole canister out, with the media one there's screws in the top

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
@Bdear22 what u mean by twist and lift. all the youtubes I've seen are 5 screws u half undo and turn a little bit and the lip comes off. is that not the case?

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
@Bdear22 what u mean by twist and lift. all the youtubes I've seen are 5 screws u half undo and turn a little bit and the lip comes off. is that not the case?
Yeah exactly right so you have to take the whole thing out to add/change pellets. I saw the same thing but I'm not sure if Andries has a different batch or something, I'm pretty certain that the media ones have screws but they don't vortex just tumble. Also the plug for the pump is Chinese fitting but he gives you a quality adapter. I know @Reefsecretsaquariums sells them maybe he had different ones? Also guppies was like $35 cheaper

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
just message him he is saying there with 4 scews in the top like the ones on youtube with aus plug but really dont trust that guy mite go with RS

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
Haha yeah doesn't surprise me, I'm kinda pissed now either he lied to you or gave me a shitty one. Yeah at least you would get a straight honest answer, he might even be able to get close to matching the price

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Look at @K&J Aquatics they have some I believe or captive reef.

Depending on your budget you could look at reef dynamics from the states.
I have an Avast MR-15 (i think.., has been superseded by a new model I believe... ), from @K&J Aquatics - really solid acrylic, and works really well. They're not hang on, but it's a far more serious piece of kit that a TLF150 (I had one... and now use it to collect skimmate). Not terribly expensive, but damn they are solid ;)

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
.....hahaha my tight ass wallet decided $30 was way to much to spend for peace of mind better spent on coral :P bought the JNS BioPellet Reactors from guppys after seeing a guy buy 1 from him and was the same as RS. wish me luck don't like my odds @Bdear22 at least we will find out if he lyed or sold u bad stuff. when did u buy yours mite be a older model.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
Yea u can get them to tumble I find I need to watch it day to day as mine tended to channel, cant set and forget, id rather vodka dose it be the same amount of attention and a lot cheaper but if it works for u go for it

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
.....hahaha my tight ass wallet decided $30 was way to much to spend for peace of mind better spent on coral :p bought the JNS BioPellet Reactors from guppys after seeing a guy buy 1 from him and was the same as RS. wish me luck don't like my odds @Bdear22 at least we will find out if he lyed or sold u bad stuff. when did u buy yours mite be a older model.
Hahahah your the same as me, got a nice chalice for my $30 ;) oh really you saw a guy that bought one from guppies that's odd. Good luck mate, I only bought it like 2 weeks ago... Haha

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
Well I got the reactor looks the same as the RS screws in top wasn't a Aus plug but gave me a adapter. if yours is only 2 weeks old i would have a word with guppys or paypal resolution @Bdear22 he ether sold you an outdated model or not the original product i guess.

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
Thanks for letting me know man, kinda bums me out I did want screws in top. Haha the amount of shit that guy cops I'm surprised he hasn't committed already :dead I doubt I'll get anywhere, might shoot him a message though see if I actually get a reply. He has got an account on here too @riley

Ben S

Apr 9, 2013
Point Cook
BioAquatek Gyractor G1000 Reactor ... can't post a link as I don't have enough posts. It tumbles the pearls and pellets really well. I purchased it when I was in the UK. Might be worth contacting them and seeing if they have an Australian supplier.

Ben