Reef Discussion

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Any system running very low nutrients (vsv, zeovit, biopellets etc) are recommend to keep you ALK in the low range 6-8dkh. High ranges can burn your sps. Best to use a salt with a natural dkh and avoid stuff like H2ocean and Red Sea Coral Pro salts with ridiculous amounts.

My alk is always around the 7.6 dkh range, running phos at 0.0 and never had any issues.

Sarg, looks like another week or 2 and you will be there. Although those numbers are great and your tank is looking Awesome!!
Thanks mate , I am using Red Sea coral pro but my Alk as of Thursday night was
8dkh. I might switch back to normal Red sea salt just to be safe.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Took a while but its all 0000000's

Turned the flow down leaving the reactor but keeping the pellets tumbling. I used more pellets than recommended (not that it reduced it any quicker!) figuring since I can control the effluent leaving the reactor its all good so now I have turned it down im hoping the numbers will creep up just a little otherwise I may remove a few pellets.

Fingers crossed I can manage a low nutrient system!

Last edited:

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Good work

I have been reducing my pellets slowly, I have been reading 0.00 for quite a while now. While some SPS seems to be loving it others I dont think are so much

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
You have a case of 'starving monti' as an old reefing friend used to say - they aren't as fond of low nutrients as you'd think according to him.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
my plating monti loves the low nutrient. He is by far the fastest growing coral in my tank. However dallas seems to be closed but going through a upward growth spert stage. Elegance coral and fungi def not in agreeance lol

Ben S

Apr 9, 2013
Point Cook
I took my pellets offline on Tuesday. I was not getting the results I have seen in the past. I put this down to the skimmer I have not being big enough to handle the pellets slim. On my old tank the skimmer was more than sufficient, but on my new tank it's borderline on it's capacity for use with pellets. Went back to Cheato and in a few weeks will plumb in a P04 reactor.

Ben

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I must say my monti's are loving low nutrients, I had one which was almost completely dead due to high nitrates and that has almost made a complete comeback. My plate is also growing pretty nicely too.

jayellul

Sep 6, 2013
Hey all. I've been running tlf pellets in a alpha 1 reactor for a few months now. I thought I would be down to zeros by now!

I'm running ~150mls on a 120litre system. I've ordered more pellets and will add another 50mls. I'm also still dosing 20mls of vinegar

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Hey all. I've been running tlf pellets in a alpha 1 reactor for a few months now. I thought I would be down to zeros by now!

I'm running ~150mls on a 120litre system. I've ordered more pellets and will add another 50mls. I'm also still dosing 20mls of vinegar

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have your nitrates of phosphates moved?From my understanding i think you are suppose to slowly ween yourself off any other from of dosing so the bacteria can live in the reactor rather than in the tank.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I must say my monti's are loving low nutrients, I had one which was almost completely dead due to high nitrates and that has almost made a complete comeback. My plate is also growing pretty nicely too.
The encrusting montis are loving it and a frag of rainbow has come back from the brink, although atm different colouration, and a plating green frag from the Vic frag meet is glowing but the scrolling type is the only one unhappy!

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
The encrusting montis are loving it and a frag of rainbow has come back from the brink, although atm different colouration, and a plating green frag from the Vic frag meet is glowing but the scrolling type is the only one unhappy!
DAM !!, I love the scrolling ones

Miller

Dec 4, 2012
traralgon
What type of pallets do you guys use?
I'm about to start up a reactor in a couple weeks and switch over from zeolite stones (to time consuming for my current work schedule)
Hey @Sarg what size fitting is on the top of your reactor? I'm making my own recirculating reactor and just about to buy the john guest fittings

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
4-5 weeks for me before notice slight differences in levels, moved along pretty quickly from then on though