Reef Discussion

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
So after a week there is no difference in nitrate which was expected. I did have to put a lot more flow through the reactor to stop the pellets from clumping. There was a small patch of cyano on my sand but I dont know if that was caused by the pellets.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
So after reading through 7 pages, what is the consensus? Some have tried it and stopped, others rave about it.

To pellet or not to pellet?

Sam

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
im sold couldn't be happier with mine. i think it really comes down to the reactor you use. tried 1's before and had little success with my old reactor. the benefits of carbon dosing are pretty well established and i think it is the safest way to dose currently available.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
ok fair enough - so recirc reactors seem to be the go. Is it worth spending the $$$$'s on a reef dynamics unit or are the DIY/modified units the go?

How often are you guys adding pellets?

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
depends on your budget im using a moded jns bio-pellets reactor. reactor from guppys and there is instruction of the mod on masa.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
adding about 50-100ml a month in my 5ft tank. it will depend on your bio-load and the availability of nitrate and posphate

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
I've got a small problem with my chemistry. im now sitting on nitrate undetectable but phosphate at .05ppm with some Hair aglue on the back glass left over from my 2 month trip to china. its been like that for 3 weeks now with little to no change. what im thinking i dont have enof nitrate for the Bacteria to consume the phos. should i start up my Rowaphos reactor again to get rid of the last of it or just wait for nitrate to be introduced?

ps were do u buy rowaphos/phosban thats cheap online?

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I've got a small problem with my chemistry. im now sitting on nitrate undetectable but phosphate at .05ppm with some Hair aglue on the back glass left over from my 2 month trip to china. its been like that for 3 weeks now with little to no change. what im thinking i dont have enof nitrate for the Bacteria to consume the phos. should i start up my Rowaphos reactor again to get rid of the last of it or just wait for nitrate to be introduced?

ps were do u buy rowaphos/phosban thats cheap online?
I have the same Issue , no nitrates I added a lot of base rock thinking i have played it safe now p04 has shot upto 0.8.
about 4 weeks later its down to 0.25 still not good ...
I have been adding amino acids to increase nitrates , I think its working
From what i have read Bio-pellets need a balanced Nitrates & po4 to work effectively.
I will let you know if it works and I get p04 back to >0.05

edited ....sorry I just seen yours is at 0.05 not 0.5 , 0.05 is fine in my book ?

Last edited:

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
.05 but i have hair line in the tank so the test will be skewed by phos be absorbed. there is quite a lot of it :( gonna start removing it this weekend. it only on the back glass pannel which is quite weird i think only ever had it on my rock work in the past.

u think i should add the rust just to get ride of the by wc?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I added the rest of my pellets over the weekend so I'm using 400ml now. I have had 250ml going for 2.5 months now with no drop in nitrates. I have definately noticed my sps are growing faster and are brighter now though, I guess the pellets must be doing something.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I just purchased a JNS Alpha 1E. Gets awesome reviews (many under the AquaMaxx brand in the US), so will see how it goes in the new setup (ie could be a while off!).

upload_2014-5-27_14-13-9.jpeg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Had my bio pellets going for around 4 months no. Still no drop in nitrates.