Reef Discussion

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Bio Pellets Q And A
Hi all, I have been doing a lot of reading on phosphate and nitrate removal as I have cyano and and want to use biopellets. Is this Going to help? I have heard that they cause cyano.
I am using pos 4x4 already but still have cyano. I dont have readings as of yet due to kits running out but have some on the way.
my main question is, is this going to help with cyano reduction?
That is if it is being caused by nutrients of course.

bimbo

Oct 7, 2014
Newcastle
There are no magic bullets when it comes to reef keeping, best off getting new and decent test kits asap, find out what your numbers actually are then look at finding a solution to the problem (if there is one) - in the mean time more regular water changes never hurt anything.

Rob69

Feb 10, 2014
Bio pellets in fact promote Cyano. Probably after 4 weeks when i started using bio pellets i got cyano too. There are products on the market that help with cyano outbreaks. I certainly would not recommend using bio pellets to help in this matter. Same as Red Sea NO3 : PO4

E

ezza

Cyanobacteria is indicative of the water quality and issues within a marine system. Cyano is blue-green algae (obv it comes in other colours). If it is in your system, it is there because you have available Nitrogen and Phosphate. There is likelihood that you have poor water flow in the regions it is spreading. I would recommend you do some reading on Cyanobacteria and obviously aim for the best possible water quality. If you have a very efficient skimmer and can run pellets in an effective reactor, it can certainly help expedite the nitrogen cycle's progress in your system which in turn theoretically would lead to a decrease in problem algae simply because it should reduce the pockets of damaging bacteria and and algae hanging out in the system.

http://www.environment.gov.au/water...e-green-algae-cyanobacteria-and-water-quality

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
This is my experience with cyano - had it on and off the first year I set up my tank, it was a pain in the bum and I wish I knew then what I know now.
Occasionally saw it form on a new coral rock when I put it in the system in the years after that but it would go away in a day or two and not spread anywhere else.
Algae outbreak after a heatwave, nutrient problems - cyano smothering corals pretty bad.

I decided to try Chemi-Clean - worked brilliantly and I didn't see it again after that. Saw other algaes, still had nutrient problems, but not cyano. Why put up with it when you don't have to.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I have a stable tank that has been set up for about 6 or 7 years. Every summer I have a cyano outbreak. It is really weird. Not to mention it pisses me off. the only thing I can put it down to is more evaporation. I use filtered tap water to do top ups (not ro) and instead of using 10L per week it goes up to about 12 to 15L. I use tap water all year round and have no cyano for 6 months of the year.

E

ezza

It's possible wherever your water comes from has more algae in it in summer. People use more water in summer so the dams get a bit lower and maybe more algae is pushed out into the drinking water.

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
IMO, test your water and see what's your levels, turn off all returns and stop overflow, use a wavemaker to blow all cyano and shit off rocks corals etc, do a 50% water change siphoning all the shit out while doing it, turn pumps on and overflows, then lights out for two days, then turn lights on for 2 to 4 hours, another 50% water change while lights are on. Lights out for another 2 days, then only run lights for 4hrs a day (or less) for about another 7 days after that, 20% water change.

Has worked for me many times, just done it on my frag tank as I had a bit of an outbreak, it started smothering my frags etc, now it's squeaky clean.

Also cut back on feeding during these times.

As stated above, increase Waterflow to the areas most affected.

Good luck with the notorious cyano.