Reef Discussion

Which BioPellets Do You Use

• Total voters

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Biopellets....which Brand Do You Use?
So im looking to get some biopellets for my gfs tank and was looking at the following brands but do not know much about them and would like to know what everyone is using and if they have had good or bad experiences with them:

-Vertex
-NP
-ReefOctopus
-Marine Sources

Would love to know your thoughts, and if you have another suggestion of another brand that you recommend as i really dont know a whole lot about them except once time someone in a store told me ReefOctopus' product is called biospheres and their shape being perfectly round makes it less likely for media to get caught and cause an issue with pellets getting stuck not tumbling.

Thanks in advanced guys.

Leo

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
hmm i guess they might be but again the reef octopus are definitely a different shape to the rest there's no flat edges to cause anything to get stuck from what i can see so i guess they might be pretty much the same but slightly different

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
BTW the video i saw of biopellets they seemed really noisy lol like M&Ms being shaken in a tube constantly, are any softer than others or all fairly solid?

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
hmm i guess they might be but again the reef octopus are definitely a different shape to the rest there's no flat edges to cause anything to get stuck from what i can see so i guess they might be pretty much the same but slightly different
the Np ones look pretty round to me, perhaps not perfect.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I got a free pack when I bought my reactor, can't remember the brand though.

Keen to hear responses to this thread, or verification that @Sam Parker is right and it's all marketing bullshit (in which case I can go with the cheapest).

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
What size packets do they come in? 500mL and 1000mL?
I'm getting them in 5kg bags. Then it's easier for people to just order however many grams they want/need. We have the ability to package them up in sealed bags ourselves.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I got a free pack when I bought my reactor, can't remember the brand though.

Keen to hear responses to this thread, or verification that @Sam Parker is right and it's all marketing bullshit (in which case I can go with the cheapest).
Was hoping that the reactor im buying came with a free pack but it doesnt :(

E

ezza

i was looking at pellets atm too. I need something to reduce both Phos and Nitrate. My iron stuff has just expired (it's all clumped and the cyano is back). Last week we totally completely utterly ran out of money, so now we have had a major financial overhaul and I am being allocated $100/month for the tank for a while. I am rapidly finding that buying any pellets will take a massive chunk out of that budget. My very nearby LFS has Two Little Fishies NPX Bioplastics for $50-ish for a reasonably small looking bag... I can't remember exactly what size it was, by comparison, they had the pearl thingies for about $100 for the same size from memory... I am so confused. I just want one that -works- and is good value without siphoning money from my bank account.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
i was looking at pellets atm too. I need something to reduce both Phos and Nitrate. My iron stuff has just expired (it's all clumped and the cyano is back). Last week we totally completely utterly ran out of money, so now we have had a major financial overhaul and I am being allocated $100/month for the tank for a while. I am rapidly finding that buying any pellets will take a massive chunk out of that budget. My very nearby LFS has Two Little Fishies NPX Bioplastics for $50-ish for a reasonably small looking bag... I can't remember exactly what size it was, by comparison, they had the pearl thingies for about $100 for the same size from memory... I am so confused. I just want one that -works- and is good value without siphoning money from my bank account.
Research both really well on forums so you're not making a choice by being scared to buy the less expensive product.

E

ezza

There's a thread on Reef Central discussing the variants in great detail (what isn't there a thread about on that forum?!)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1957617

I have been googling around, there aren't many AU stores selling online through EBAY etc... obviously it will be a little difficult to buy this stuff for less than the LFSes charge.

@holly , how long until you are selling??

E

ezza

reading through all this stuff, it seems they are all much of a muchness and you should possibly just buy the cheapest balls you can get. i absolutely refuse to buy from the AU ebay supplier on moral and ethical grounds. it all brings me back to thinking that maybe vodka dosing is the way to go. cheap, easy, effective.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/