Tank Journal Archive

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Blue Tang Growth
I had the opportunity to take another photo of my blue tang in my hand and thought it would be cool to compare it to the last time I did it.
First picture is from September 2013. Second picture is January 2016. Almost 2.5 years apart.
Interesting to see that the stripe along the middle of the body joined up to the top stripe. I wasn't aware that this happens.

blue tang.jpg

IMG_20160122_220715.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I forgot to mention that he has been living in a 50L tub with a Leopard Wrasse for the last month or so. His colours are normally a little more vibrant, but he will be back in the tank shortly :)

E

ezza

What a gorgeous fish :) I love how they get those little "freckles" across their noses as they get older. My hippo is just developing the spots now. It's nice to see how big he is. They come home these wee tiny fellows and you feel so scared for them, he's such a big boy now!

sugar

Jan 7, 2016
I had the opportunity to take another photo of my blue tang in my hand and thought it would be cool to compare it to the last time I did it.
First picture is from September 2013. Second picture is January 2016. Almost 2.5 years apart.
Interesting to see that the stripe along the middle of the body joined up to the top stripe. I wasn't aware that this happens.

View attachment 52860

View attachment 52859
WOW!!!!! Have you been feeding it steroids...... i can see why they need a large tank.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
What a gorgeous fish :) I love how they get those little "freckles" across their noses as they get older. My hippo is just developing the spots now. It's nice to see how big he is. They come home these wee tiny fellows and you feel so scared for them, he's such a big boy now!
They are such characters too! Sometimes he thinks he is a Clownfish and hangs out next to them and their Anemone :confused:

E

ezza

They are such characters too! Sometimes he thinks he is a Clownfish and hangs out next to them and their Anemone :confused:
My Dory does as well. Does yours hide in rock work? Mine is forever jamming himself in cracks and holes. It's hilarious seeing him working out if he fits into certain places. It's very much like watching an uncertain driver reverse an unfamiliar car into a tight space. I felt bad for him when he realised he was too big to slide under the montipora he had been sleeping under from the first night in the tank. He just couldn't wriggle into the little cave, regardless of which way he approached it.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
My Dory does as well. Does yours hide in rock work? Mine is forever jamming himself in cracks and holes. It's hilarious seeing him working out if he fits into certain places. It's very much like watching an uncertain driver reverse an unfamiliar car into a tight space. I felt bad for him when he realised he was too big to slide under the montipora he had been sleeping under from the first night in the tank. He just couldn't wriggle into the little cave, regardless of which way he approached it.
Yup does the same thing!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
WOW!!!!! Have you been feeding it steroids...... i can see why they need a large tank.
He mostly just pecks around the rocks but he can also use up the whole 6ft of tank in a split second. I think he would need a couple more feet of tank in a few years time.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Great photos and lovely fish. Good to see the growth! Also gives one great satisfaction when you buy a small fish (if you can get one) and see it's growth rather than having to buy an already full grown fish.

I suggested on another forum that we have a page where people include data on fish purchases and sizing as the fish grows, but no one appeared interested.

I have a soft plastic ruler I use to measure my fish whenever I get the opportunity. I put the fish in a plastic fish bag and lie the fish on it's side. The fish's gills stay moist etc and it gives you time to take a good measurement and to keep the fish's body and tail flat.