Tank Journal Archive

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
Blue Zoos
Hey all,

Just a quick one, tank is full of different types of zoos, green,purple, pink, red, orange etc.

Yet when I get blue zoos, I fine they won't open up, even when moved to different places, and even right next to other colonies that are spreading.

Has anyone had this experience with blue zoos or have advice on them

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
I have two different lots of blue zoas and they are very finicky. One barely opens and the other when it feels like it.

Yet I bought them from my local lfs and they were both displaying well and they had only been in the tank there one day. Their zoa tank has way less flow than mine and they run radion led's, I run 6x T5's.

I've experimented with flow without much result. I've just bough Dalua led's (2nd hand) and going to experiment with them.

If you come up with any theories, please share, as will I.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I have to say, I think there are 3 blue varieties in my tank and I've never had issues with any of them but I do know a couple of people who have struggled with them.

I have one variant of WA Blues that I bought from Reflections 2 years ago and they have been in all sorts of different conditions and never closed up. I have one frag of them sitting at the top of the tank in nice high flow in really strong light under a MH and the same zoa sitting in lower flow in the tank under far less light at the bottom and the only difference is the depth of the blue and the brightness. I run fairly low nutrients with ZEOvit and have a nice big skimmer but I'm not sure what would be causing your issues? I know that since swapping from my Illumagic Blaze led's I have noticed that zoa growth has halted as they adjust to the new lights but they all look like they've started to grow again.
All I've had is dramatic colour shift from the change in lights in my blue zoa's. Have oyu got a pic of the blues you're having trouble with??

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
All blue zoas are not equal, and each persons take on what blue is can also be differ.

It took us years before we found some light cyan colour ones that grew well.

There are many variations collected in WA that are deep blue / purple that go very well indeed.

Another from WA a bright cyan never found in thick colonies in the wild just sparse polyps, collectors sell these very expensive. They don't do very well in most tanks they will not grow or disappear.

I got my Zoa called Ice blue from the NT off a collector that picked them up inter-tidal. These are the only light cyan colour I have ever managed to find that have always grown well for me.