Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Boosting Coloration In Clownfish
As you might know, I now own a pair of juveniles clown fish and would like to start their diet right from their younger days.

From a quick research, I understand that Astaxanthin and Beta-Carotene seems to boost the orange coloration.

It looks like TDO Chroma Boost (in USA) contains the optimal 400ppm of Astaxanthin however their shipping to Australia will cost $100 :banghead

In your reefing experience, is there any product here down under that are good for younger Clown Fish, particularly for their coloration? I have heard that Ocean Nutrition Red Plankton are good for them but wanting to know more from all of you here @ Reefuge.

ai.imgur.com_3hlgimY.png

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Not sure if you can still get it here in Oz but I have had good success with Cylopeeze.

There was some of the frozen version floating around that was like fish crack. I think that that may have been brought in illigally as it was highly priced and didn't come through LFS. I have never seen anything so readily consumed and things like your flame angles would just glow off the stuff.

The Freeze-dried unprocessed stuff was next best and then they had a flake, which had the same nutritional content and the fish loved it but for some reason not as much as the unprocessed freeze dried stuff.

I did find you had to presoak the unprocessed stuff for a while first and it was best off turning your pumps off to feed as it floated a lot and had a habit of getting surface skimmed off.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I'd have to check the label to be 100% sure, but it is a "Tropical" Softline food aimed at American fish I believe from memory :)
upload_2018-3-8_8-24-45.jpeg