Tank Journal Archive

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Bought The Tank.
Bought the tank a few months ago, for $50 dollars!
This is what it looked like at the start (I'm unable to post pictures or links, so this will do for now.
i.imgur DOT com/Vh6KtcY.jpg
i.imgur DOT com/kaJt1u0.jpg
i.imgur DOT com/nSgRyAi.jpg
The top right corner of the tank had disconnected completely from the front of the glass.
Two braces had disconnected also, and the third one had half disconnected.

After getting the tank home and a little bit of a clean up!
i.imgur DOTcom/jxFPOgW.jpg

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
So, we had a bit of an issue with the housing where we were.... so, we left there as quick as we could.
i.imgur DOT com/RSxaVy7.jpg
i.imgur DOT com/k3DgckE.jpg
Had to move back to parents for the mean time, tank is now under the parents garage -__- Not happy, but its a roof over my head. ANYWAY!
Tank's had the end ripped off, spent a solid 2-3 days perfecting the glass, I wanted to make sure it was mirrored finish.
Braces were also removed.... painfully and EXTREMELY slowly... tried a razor blade, was taking too long.
Tried fishing line, though that was too weak, went out to grab some braided steel wire though... badass!
Had all three braces removed within 2 hours, about 3 or so hours after that, cleaned and polished the braces, and had them siliconed back on the next day (Clamped on, to ensure it wasn't going to move)

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Welcome! Whats the plans for the tank? Looks to be about a 5x2x2? Is this your first Marine?
6x2.5x2.5 just over 1000l
With sump I think it's about 1200 - 1300?
Yeah, first marine tank! Just went out and picked up two secondhand Aqua One G220 skimmers (Which work... as opposed to my currently non-functional Reef Octopus)
Plan is to get this sucker running!! I still need to put baffles into the sump, build a stand, build the lighting and organize flow pumps... and the 100 kilo's of live rock...
Then once it's all ready, it'll have soft and hard corals, unsure as to what specific fish I'd like though.

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
i.imgur DOT com/ScBo38O.jpg
i.imgur DOT com/RRtxXXS.jpg
Can anyone help me identify my RO skimmer?
It was used in the past on the tank I'm rebuilding now.
I'm looking to repair it.

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Haven't done much last few days, picked up two Aqua One G220 skimmers for $60 dollars the other day.
so I'll be able to get this bad boy up and running as soon as I build the stand and get the tank re-sealed.

I have decided on MGP15 for the stand, with a similar design to bit DOT ly/18Bs12Y.
As long as it's lighter! :P

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
:welcome

as soon as you get that post count up lets get those pics added to the thread :)

looking forward to seeing this one, if you need any help just feel free to ask the community we have amazing people on here and the most helpful :)

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
:welcome

as soon as you get that post count up lets get those pics added to the thread :)

looking forward to seeing this one, if you need any help just feel free to ask the community we have amazing people on here and the most helpful :)
Thanks! I'm stoked to get those pics up!
I just need help supplying the MGP15, any ideas?

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Apologies, MGP15 is Machine Graded Pine 15
Basically it's (From my research) some of the strongest pine out there, seeing as this stand needs to support ~1200kg of water/tank/rock/sump etc I'm aiming for the toughest strongest pine I can and MGP15 is comparable to hardwood with less weight!

Edit: Just going to change this, so I can somewhat get opinions on screw types for the stand too.
Aiming for Stainless Steel Decking Screws and wood glue, (Classic glue'n'screw) I might as well over-build the stand and guarantee that it will never fail than under-build and run the risk of issues arising in the future.

Last edited:

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
I used f7 on previous stands and i liked it so much more, i used MPG15 here and it just cracked on almost every single screw

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Yep pre drilled, it may be because i dont have a counter-sink, but they are meant to be self sinking screws. I did use 10G screws though.
It is still a mighty stong stand, i tried pushing it every which way before putting the tank on and it wouldnt budge, no cracking sounds from the wood, so all good really

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Yep pre drilled, it may be because i dont have a counter-sink, but they are meant to be self sinking screws. I did use 10G screws though.
It is still a mighty stong stand, i tried pushing it every which way before putting the tank on and it wouldnt budge, no cracking sounds from the wood, so all good really
Awesome! I've been unable to supply the MGP15, unless you know of a place to get it?
Otherwise F17 hardwood will have to suffice, it just won't look as nice :(

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Which side of the city are you?
Eastern, over in Lilydale.
Though if needed I'll gladly drive to the west, otherwise I'm stuck using F17 Hardwood.
The pine will be lighter and when it's stained/lacquered I'm hoping it will be nicer than the hardwood.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
There is a place in oakleigh, The tile importer, i know he has MPG10, but you would have to go in and see about anything else, the prices are also pretty good. I think last time i bought from them the whole length was 5 buks

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Thanks! Contacted them today, so here's hoping I get a positive reply soon!

Recently picked up a free 4x2x1 tank, which I'm going to re-seal as well, maybe use that as a simple learning tank as a starting marine (Before I jump head first into the 1000L behemoth. (It's also a good place to store some live rock ;D)

Edit, picked up a hard rubbish 4 footer also! Chopped that up for coverglass for one of my 6ft's.
This thing is really starting to get on a roll! (Or I'm getting obsessed)