Tank Journal Archive

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
this is an epic tank for a first marine unit!
How many posts before you can upload pics? Keen to see more!
I SHOULD be able to upload them now!

Tank's gone a long way from what it was before, but still have HEAPS to do.
ai.imgur.com_f8QlGIx.jpg

Test/practice placing the silicone, I'm wanting it to be perfect.... pity the front didn't end up anywhere near as nice...
ai.imgur.com_DXQpTwB.jpg

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
I've got wood ;D
No, but really, F17, seeing as I've been shutdown every time with my search for MGP15.
Bought a new mitre saw as well, so working on the stand in the next few days! :)
I need a break from scraping silicone.

Specs on the tank stand however! I've trimmed the legs to a height of 75cm, leaving the total height at 151.2cm tall.
I'm about 173ish, so ought to work out as an excellent height, for all heights and ages!

ai.imgur.com_bZf04qP.jpg

The lovely timber! Cut nicely to 75cm lengths :)
ai.imgur.com_G6SB68D.jpg

Brand spankin' new Ozito mitre saw!
$148 from bunnings! Glorious!

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nuts...
The 125mm are about 2 mm too long after countersinking for the legs, off to bunnings I suppose... also, DRILL DOWN!
Burnt one out, luckily there are more laying around... for some reason :P

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Quickie update on the tank, haven't progressed at all with the glass or silicone, BUT, I've just requested to borrow the drill guide so I can drill a return line on the tank ( I refuse to have an ugly PVC pipe running up the glass as the inlet)
Only thing is!!! I need some advice on the drilling.

Do I extend the overflow and have the return line go up there?
OR what I imagine will be nicer, and add to the flow and filtration of the tank is to have the return on the opposite side of the tank just above sand level with a right angle.

Thoughts anyone?

newTOreef

Nov 16, 2013
pump stops or something all that water is gonna drain down to that line (and all over your floor) could use a check valve but they restrict flow a little

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
pump stops or something all that water is gonna drain down to that line (and all over your floor) could use a check valve but they restrict flow a little
Oh helllll no! I'm putting in several one way valves, to negate that, I'd cry otherwise.

Add on too!
Just scored a 270L sump for the tank for free :)

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
@newTOreef, judging by that, I'll assume that I MAY have mischosen my return?

EDIT:
Cracked out the calipers, drain is 1.5"
So, MIGHT look at drilling that out too, also thinking I might extend the overflow, that way I can avoid the risk of an accidental siphon of the return line.
Plus, again, will let me hide the lines, though might be too much hassle.

EDIT:2

At 1.5" gravity fed 1400gph, so a Waveline DC-6000 would be 1585gph.
Just enough to cover that, so, here's a question for you all then, am I better off drilling a larger drain and having a higher flow through the sump?

Last edited:

newTOreef

Nov 16, 2013
yea even if it draining at 1400gph, its still restricted to your return pump, its only going to overflow into you weir as much as your pump pumps back into your returns, if that make sense.. lol

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
yea even if it draining at 1400gph, its still restricted to your return pump, its only going to overflow into you weir as much as your pump pumps back into your returns, if that make sense.. lol
You'll be glad to know that I'm going to stick with the pre-drilled line.
And planning on the return going elsewhere in the tank.
My research on flow through the sump found that it's pointless having a high flow compared to a low. The results are the same regardless. And the lower flow will allow the DSB and Refugium less turbulence.