Reef Discussion

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Brainstorming Ideas For The Gf's Tank :)
So my gf is currently running a OceanFree Nano tank which is 34L with LED and is a pretty simple setup.

Its running a tunze nano ato and WC's are currently weekly or fortnightly, it is going ok so far but i know shes not 100% happy with it.

So my idea is almost like a pimp-my-ride sorta thing where she is going overseas for a month and ive opted to care for it while she is away but i want her to come back to an amazing tank that will have an easy maintenance guide to put the fun into having a tank there rather than it being a chore.

Note that i am so lazy with tanks where as she will remeber to manually dose something where i will one day and not the next so if i gave her a maintenance routine im sure she will stick to it but i want it to be as simple as possible so she can spend more time enjoying it rather than maintaining it.

a few options i have is:
- Keep the current tank and make some simple mods and upgrades (return, light, filter media)
- Upgrade her to maybe a Innovative Marine Nuvo or something similar, the area she has to work with isnt too large but i can go wider.

i guess one of the biggest things is water volume and being able to fit a decent skimmer, the ocean free tank has an airstone skimmer that i was thinking to upgrade to the mame skimmer but ive had some serious results using my tunze 9004 in my nano cube and i have never done a water change and there's literally no alage in there.

so i call some people to the board because they're just boss at innovations lol...and i encourage you all to come forward with your ideas and innovations. once i have a direction ill begin a journal, i can't let her know im doing this. @Sam Parker @Neillw

the 2 main things i want to try gain that isnt possible on the current tank is:
- a type of colling method, ice probe or something alng those lines
- a decent skimmer.

Stock-wise, she currently has 2 skunk clowns, i would really like to get her a RBTA for them. i figure a month would be enough time to cycle a new tank or do a transfer, it may not be enough time for the RBTA but that can come later once the tank is stable and more mature.

Also i am open to making a little DIY aquarium controller that integrates with her iphone or with a touchscreen..no real budget on it just want it to be simple and easy, im not good at DIY so think of this as a Reefuge project.

Edit:

Option #1 - Designed by @Sam Parker

elos.jpg

Option #2 - Suggested by @chimaera @RCanik @Wrangy

Nuvo16.JPG

Last edited:

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Jeez.... Don't ask much do you!!!
Firstly - what is your budget? Ice probs, iphone tank controllers and Nuvo Marines are not cheap! Why don't you list some things you think we could do to help with and anyone that has the skillset may be able to help out.

More than happy to do what I can, but my projects are typically more "hands on" type DIY's rather than finished product type stuff. Still, happy to help out!!

Sam

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I could make a scale replica of the Elos tank you have coming? Give me the dimensions of the tank and stand and I'll see what we can do?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Jeez.... Don't ask much do you!!!
Firstly - what is your budget? Ice probs, iphone tank controllers and Nuvo Marines are not cheap! Why don't you list some things you think we could do to help with and anyone that has the skillset may be able to help out.

More than happy to do what I can, but my projects are typically more "hands on" type DIY's rather than finished product type stuff. Still, happy to help out!!

Sam
as i said above no real budget...controller wise, DIY i was thinking reef angel or raspberry pi or something

I could make a scale replica of the Elos tank you have coming? Give me the dimensions of the tank and stand and I'll see what we can do?
i love this idea! lol

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Have the contacts, parts and mostly the skills to make these mini tanks (just like my desk pico). They are pretty cheap really as everything is so small. Tank, cabinet, sump and even pump/heater works out to be like $150. Cheap in my opinion

Can add a DIY led light to it, or go something fancy like a Micmol aqua mini from Naqua.

Of course, from there you could add a controller- but to be honest, it's really not needed. Small pico, do as big of a water change as you can when you can and things are good. @Neilw could possibly supply an automated water change system (a constant small % change) to make it set and forget. If you were really set on a skimmer, why not 3D print one out to whatever size you want?
http://reefbuilders.com/2014/03/31/diy-3d-printed-protein-skimmer/

Sam

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Which size Nuvo were you thinking? If the 16 or 24 then IM have some cool additions if you can get them here, skimmer etc.

Love the idea of a mini Elos though - with a bit of budget behind it (starfire glass etc) could look amazing.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I guess what im after is knowing what nanos are on the market...what controller or control option we can go with, what maintenance program will be easy to follow, what size tank is a good size for 2 clowns and a BTA and some corals. i guess i should give you an idea of what area we got to work with? ill try get some pics and dimensions.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Which size Nuvo were you thinking? If the 16 or 24 then IM have some cool additions if you can get them here, skimmer etc.

Love the idea of a mini Elos though - with a bit of budget behind it (starfire glass etc) could look amazing.
ill have to see dimensions, do you knwo them off hand?

to be honest, well, in my opinion - starfire glass isn't needed on such thin panels :)
while i think of it i dont think a skimmer would go in this type of build will it?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
That is the dimmensions I'd go for with a mini Elos. If you wanted it to be big enough for a pair of clowns a BTA and some coral, we might have to stretch it to a half scale 60cm wide x40cm deep x25cm height. No reason why it couldn't be done though.

elos.jpg

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia

no maintenance required really, perfect.

Sorry, had to have a joke. Tagging along, I am looking to set a mini tank up again. Love my cichlids but reef bug is biting again..

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
There is a pretty pimped out IM Nuvo for sale in Sydney at the moment?
Full Set up for sale,
Innovative Marine Nuvo Mini 38 Tank in white
Maxspect Razor Nano 60watt 16,000k Led light
RO unit(may need filters replaced)
Aqua one 200watt heater
2 x Aquael Reef Circulators (1 is working the other has stopped)
3 x 20L water drums
Aqua World mini protein skimmer
Test kit
Seneye Reef Monitoring system(Logs water parameters and sends texts to your phone)
some food and additives
great setup for a beginner, selling as I just don't have the time to maintain anymore.
Can arrange delivery to Sydney Metro areas for additional cost. Inspections welcome & recommended.
Asking $750 ono for the lot, if there is something in particular you would like, make me an offer.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
There is a pretty pimped out IM Nuvo for sale in Sydney at the moment?
Full Set up for sale,
Innovative Marine Nuvo Mini 38 Tank in white
Maxspect Razor Nano 60watt 16,000k Led light
RO unit(may need filters replaced)
Aqua one 200watt heater
2 x Aquael Reef Circulators (1 is working the other has stopped)
3 x 20L water drums
Aqua World mini protein skimmer
Test kit
Seneye Reef Monitoring system(Logs water parameters and sends texts to your phone)
some food and additives
great setup for a beginner, selling as I just don't have the time to maintain anymore.
Can arrange delivery to Sydney Metro areas for additional cost. Inspections welcome & recommended.
Asking $750 ono for the lot, if there is something in particular you would like, make me an offer.
id wanna go something with a fresh start, whilst it might be cheaper by purchasing the above, i would like something new :) loving the direction so far.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
no looks good only reason i ask is so i can look at a skimmer too...so for option one this is the sump details based on the original but i guess i could make it larger to accommodate some more....would be absolutely awesome to try replicate it completely as you did. at this point in time @NiCd could help with the sump dimensions as they're the same as his sump
sump1000.gif

Size (cm) - 70 x 43 x 40
Reservoir - 38 Litres
Pump - 1 x 2700 l/h
See more at: http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/elos-sump1000-p-7178.html#sthash.XbHuUeCj.dpuf

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
is anyone good with any CAD software or sketch programs to help us get these sizes in a way i can send of fo quotes on some materials? if this could work then im all for striving to make it happen i think it would be an amazing build