Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
@Neillw haha wish I could render like that, sourced that one from my dear friend (and mentor) Google ;)

Connect it tubes are easy mate. One pieces of advice, get your measurements (draw them up as each connection will effectively shorten the length). Then get someone to cut it for you (that can cut square and very accurately - ie, not a hacksaw like I did!) You can then clad it in anything you like I chose acrylic as I could get it cheap and it looked pretty (and saved me painting)

With your tank builder, there are a few things to consider. Tank drilling, you will want minimum 2 holes, but preferably three in the corner behind the weir. Considering the size of the tank, you'd ideally want these to fit small bulkheads (I just siliconed pipe in mine, but would have 3D printed some mini bulkheads if I had my printer). These will need to be spaced apart enough to fit bulkheads, but not so that it takes up a stupid amount of tank real estate.

Enjoy :)

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
@Neillw haha wish I could render like that, sourced that one from my dear friend (and mentor) Google ;)

Connect it tubes are easy mate. One pieces of advice, get your measurements (draw them up as each connection will effectively shorten the length). Then get someone to cut it for you (that can cut square and very accurately - ie, not a hacksaw like I did!) You can then clad it in anything you like I chose acrylic as I could get it cheap and it looked pretty (and saved me painting)

With your tank builder, there are a few things to consider. Tank drilling, you will want minimum 2 holes, but preferably three in the corner behind the weir. Considering the size of the tank, you'd ideally want these to fit small bulkheads (I just siliconed pipe in mine, but would have 3D printed some mini bulkheads if I had my printer). These will need to be spaced apart enough to fit bulkheads, but not so that it takes up a stupid amount of tank real estate.

Enjoy :)
@Sam Parker
I got some STL files for some super slimline 1/2" bulkheads if you like?
PM me and ill hook you up.
They are from my friend @cody.sheridan-2008 pico tank, check it out:

bulkhead 2.jpg

bulkheads.jpg

bulkhead 3.jpg

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Thanks guys, once I get my quote on the tank and sump I can contemplate the options...would be cool to build this though then get Elos to contact me to either pay me for my idea or sue me when I get the Elos symbol blasted into the tank lol

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Loving the support and input here guys thanks...if anyone has any other ideas that they have in their mind that they're thinking hmm na datshi*crazy lol post it up :)

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
Looks like you're already set in your mind, but I can't say enough about these Nuvo tanks! I'm already considering buying one of the bigger models for somewhere else in the house (the 6foot has been put on hold until we move. So all the little tanks can stock the big one - or so I tell my husband) Anyways. With a few simple mods I've done I'm pretty impressed with this tank. If you're dead set on a Tunze skimmer you can switch the single return pump for two smaller ones (still equaling the over all lph) and it gives you room for the skimmer in the middle section. To be honest the IM skimmer isn't that bad once you can dial it in and if you're fine with stuffing the compartment with filter floss. It is a tight squeeze but with an empty tank it is already pulling out tea coloured water. So can't really complain there. And InTank makes some killer after market accessories to really maximize the back chambers use....

Gonna be killer whatever way you go!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Can you post some pics in here...im not 100% set on Option #1 i mean i love the idea but am open to other ideas :) post some pics on how yours works and what you changed, would like to keep this thread interactive until the end :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
@Sam Parker can you build me a scale replica of the Elos 120XL too? I'd like a 1:1 scale, same glass, same build quality. Budget is $300. Thanks ;)
hey dude...ill make you a scale 1:1 replica of my 120XL....seeing as though i have paid for it and nothing has come and its been 9 months....gimme the $300 and ill keep giving you excuses for the first 6 months then promise you a date in 3 months then um and ahhh and not return your phone calls for the next 3 and then email you pics of someone elses to make you more jealous and then possibly ill tell you that im waiting to here back from the builder?

if you're cool with all that im keen lol

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
You guys sound like price shoppers and tyre kickers at the tattoo shop haha.

Sorry I didn't get to this last night. AFL360 was on. Holly balls I love footy haha.

Anyways.

All I've done to actually mod the tank has been to add the spin streams and toss the stock lights. I'd imagine for softies and some LPS the stock lighting would be ok but I've put 2 Coral Flare II Par 38s over the tank. About 8 inches off the water surface and it lights the tank well. The only shadows are created from the power heads (please excuse the dirty glass, just added a small clean up crew last night)
ai100.photobucket.com_albums_m21_casper_023_IMG_0715_zpsd7e8b369.jpg

I've binned the filters that come with the tank. Left them in for initial set up but have since removed them. If you're looking right at the tank the rear chambers now go as such (or will once the stuff gets here from America): InTank Media basket (filter floss/purigen/chemipure elite)/ InTank Fuge basket (Cheato)/ Return section with stock pump/ IM Desktop nano skimmer/InTank Nano reactor.

The reactor will be running bio pellets once they arrive. I did have to make a small mod to the skimmer. The airline hose it comes with is far too long and pinches easily in the tiny compartment. So cut that to length. In order to raise the skimmer to where it needed to be I had to cut off about an inch from the return standpipe as suggested by the company. And then stuff the chamber with filter floss. So many micro bubbles. But with the filter floss it gets rid of that. Pulls some great skimmate. It isn't quiet by any means but the tank sits in our lounge/dining room and the small hum is only really noticeable when nothing else is on in the house.

ai100.photobucket.com_albums_m21_casper_023_IMG_0712_zps5eba8cfb.jpg

ai100.photobucket.com_albums_m21_casper_023_IMG_0708_zps852d8f35.jpg

Other than that I've added some extra flow as my plans are to house SPS. A single voretech MP10 would be great. I had some Fluval CP1's lying around so ordered a Tunze 6015 and now have about 76x tank turnover for flow rate. Mesh top for oxygen exchange and to prevent jumpers and it's set.

Currently I've got one giant trochus snail and 2 smaller turbos that have been munching away since yesterday afternoon.

ai100.photobucket.com_albums_m21_casper_023_IMG_0713_zps31673128.jpg

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
You guys sound like price shoppers and tyre kickers at the tattoo shop haha.

Sorry I didn't get to this last night. AFL360 was on. Holly balls I love footy haha.

Anyways.

All I've done to actually mod the tank has been to add the spin streams and toss the stock lights. I'd imagine for softies and some LPS the stock lighting would be ok but I've put 2 Coral Flare II Par 38s over the tank. About 8 inches off the water surface and it lights the tank well. The only shadows are created from the power heads (please excuse the dirty glass, just added a small clean up crew last night)
View attachment 39477

I've binned the filters that come with the tank. Left them in for initial set up but have since removed them. If you're looking right at the tank the rear chambers now go as such (or will once the stuff gets here from America): InTank Media basket (filter floss/purigen/chemipure elite)/ InTank Fuge basket (Cheato)/ Return section with stock pump/ IM Desktop nano skimmer/InTank Nano reactor.

The reactor will be running bio pellets once they arrive. I did have to make a small mod to the skimmer. The airline hose it comes with is far too long and pinches easily in the tiny compartment. So cut that to length. In order to raise the skimmer to where it needed to be I had to cut off about an inch from the return standpipe as suggested by the company. And then stuff the chamber with filter floss. So many micro bubbles. But with the filter floss it gets rid of that. Pulls some great skimmate. It isn't quiet by any means but the tank sits in our lounge/dining room and the small hum is only really noticeable when nothing else is on in the house.

View attachment 39478

View attachment 39479

Other than that I've added some extra flow as my plans are to house SPS. A single voretech MP10 would be great. I had some Fluval CP1's lying around so ordered a Tunze 6015 and now have about 76x tank turnover for flow rate. Mesh top for oxygen exchange and to prevent jumpers and it's set.

Currently I've got one giant trochus snail and 2 smaller turbos that have been munching away since yesterday afternoon.

View attachment 39480
thanks or that mate...looks really nice, the 6105?? haha you going for a zero edge tank?

Can i ask what made you go with the intank gear and not the factory fuge option that i seen Nuvo offers? is there any particular reason?

this is on the cards...i will mark it as Option #2 curious to see pricing on this and what not. what kind of lighting can i go on this one? she wouldnt really have any SPS but would like to go a single fixture with controllability

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
If it were up to me (little late to the party here lol) (also not factoring in price here at all haha) I'd definitely be going a NUVO tank as the tanks themselves are as much of a show piece as what's inside. The Nano 16 gallon to be specific and run the reactor and skimmer, this will make the maintenance a heck of a lot easier as the tank won't be too populated either. Pretty much how @RCanik has her layout :) As it's not going to be sps you could get away with either stronger return pumps and no wavemakers for a neater look or run a single powerhead in the tank if not the stronger returns. I'd definitely be putting a razor nano over the top of the tank as that just by itself with the tank is one friggin sweet, sleek and sexy setup :p
Corals are a very personal thing but from the sounds of things I'd be going heavy on the zoa's and ric's and maybe some smallish lps's? :) The problem I foresee with the addition of the RBTA will be it's growth, it might become such that nothing could be added as it's too big haha as amazing as having a clown/nem combo would be, it's also reasonably limiting. Instead I would leave the clowns doing their own thing and I'd get a mini-maxi nem and some sexy anemone shrimp to host it and then mix up the rest of the corals once the nem settles :) Or just fill the tank with rock flower anemones :D haha Just my 2c :) feel free to ignore me :p

I guess a question is do you/your missus want the tank to be on a stand with sump type setup or a small tank that can sit on the desk top and not have to worry about the rest of that sort of thing?