Tank Journal Archive

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Brainstorming
Simple new entry, just so I can post ideas/thoughts on plans that I'd like to look into or use in the tank!
First entry! Was this lovely "Eel tube" that I saw on TheReefTank, I'm thinking that I'll definitely use this in my tank.
Also, word of the wise, do NOT google Eel Tube.
Ah, who am I kidding, you'll do it anyway!

EDIT: Skip to the bottom of the linked page for the "Eel Tubes" or enjoy checking out the gorgeous blue ribbon eel.
DOUBLE EDIT: those tubes could be easily hidden with liverock or coral frags/rocks

rnscross

Jul 16, 2011
The eel tubing/tunnelling is the best way to prevent/reduce the risk of the eel crashing rocks as it excavates its own cave.

I may be mistaken, but don't ribbon eels generally/always doo really poorly in captivity? I don't think I've ever read about anyone keeping one for longer than 1 year if that.

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
The eel tubing/tunnelling is the best way to prevent/reduce the risk of the eel crashing rocks as it excavates its own cave.

I may be mistaken, but don't ribbon eels generally/always doo really poorly in captivity? I don't think I've ever read about anyone keeping one for longer than 1 year if that.
No idea honestly, but I'd be willing to give it a shot :)
As long as they're small: aka raised from young they'll eat and survive well in the aquarium I believe.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I have heard the white variant more readily takes food in captivity and has a better survival record, not sure how true that is.

rnscross

Jul 16, 2011
My understanding was that even if they are taking food, they eventually waste away as its not the correct nutrition for them long term. Its the same sort of thing as the morish idol. They really should be left in the sea because the vast majority die. However because a few people can keep one so everybody tries.

A tank your size would be better suited to a zebra eel. It'd be an impressive fish to have, but they do crap a lot.

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
My understanding was that even if they are taking food, they eventually waste away as its not the correct nutrition for them long term. Its the same sort of thing as the morish idol. They really should be left in the sea because the vast majority die. However because a few people can keep one so everybody tries.

A tank your size would be better suited to a zebra eel. It'd be an impressive fish to have, but they do crap a lot.
Believe me, I know all about fish that Crap a lot, in my 6x2x2 I have my barramundi, a Aussie Bass, a silver perch and several other fish.
What makes you suggest the Zebra though?

rnscross

Jul 16, 2011
They are the least likely eel (that is readily available in aust and not going to cost an arm and a leg) to eat other fish. They are almost blind and eat crustaceans and snails, so don't have the sharp teeth of other eels. Their teeth are more rounded and designed to crush, so even if they do accidentally bite a fish it should have a better chance of surviving.

With the crapping, in freshwater the nitrate can rise to 50ppm generally and most of the time the fish will be fine. In a reef/FOWLR you generally want to keep it below 10ppm. So if you have an eel it'll spike your nitrate unless you have a really good skimmer. Its just a consideration. They will also require some hand feeding to stop them roaming the tank eating every snail etc.

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
They are the least likely eel (that is readily available in aust and not going to cost an arm and a leg) to eat other fish. They are almost blind and eat crustaceans and snails, so don't have the sharp teeth of other eels. Their teeth are more rounded and designed to crush, so even if they do accidentally bite a fish it should have a better chance of surviving.

With the crapping, in freshwater the nitrate can rise to 50ppm generally and most of the time the fish will be fine. In a reef/FOWLR you generally want to keep it below 10ppm. So if you have an eel it'll spike your nitrate unless you have a really good skimmer. Its just a consideration. They will also require some hand feeding to stop them roaming the tank eating every snail etc.
Interesting....
Didn't know this!
I intend on getting a high end skimmer rated for tanks about 3000L, so I can heavily stock my tank. And a DC pump so I can scale it down when/if I get SPS so I won't overskim :)

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
OKAY! so... a month has gone by... annnddd nothing has progressed, I'm at an impasse.
There isn't really anywhere inside the house I'm at now to have the tank :(
Let alone if the floor could support the 1+ tonne.
So, the question I have for everyone is has anyone ever done anything such as an outside tank?
Or reckon just finish the build, store it, then when I get my own house set it up?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Outside tanks are a whole nother category of complexity... What would it take to strengthen the foundations of one spot? Or could you swap someone for a smaller tank?

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Outside tanks are a whole nother category of complexity... What would it take to strengthen the foundations of one spot? Or could you swap someone for a smaller tank?
Currently have a 6x2x2 in the corner of the house (Parents place, had to leave where I was renting the bloke threatened to kill us)
Not sure what he'd think of the idea....
BUT, I suppose I could move the fresh outside, and have the marine inside....

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Try and contact acro al in WA. He has one of the most ikpressive set ups I have seen, and it is all out side! Used to grow so kuch that he sold frags australia wide. He is now breeding clams.

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Try and contact acro al in WA. He has one of the most ikpressive set ups I have seen, and it is all out side! Used to grow so kuch that he sold frags australia wide. He is now breeding clams.
Thanks! I just posted on his facebook wall asking for some advice or if he has an article I can read :)