Reef Discussion

ASH850

Dec 5, 2015
Brand Newby With Aquatopia 80l
Hi guys
Ive have always always loved marine tanks, freshwater tanks just dont cut it for me so when i bought my house, as a celebration i bought myself an aquatopia 80L marine starter..
Because I have just moved it has sat empty on the table and today i have filled it with fresh water to check all the pumps etc are working..
Bit disappointed to see that the water doesnt flow over the middle weir like the instruction book said it will and that the pump in the third chamber runs dry before stopping pumping water then starts up again..
Does anyone have this tank and can explain to me if this sounds right??
Im sorry if my question sounds daft but i have tried contacting the shop i bought it from but seemingly im being ignored.. Also im sceptical about returning for questions to that shop as when i ordered it i was informed that it was on back order and will be 3 weeks before it can be shipped yet when it arrived it was full of insects..
Also the filter canisters all have the same porcelain rings in them, is this right or have i been duped there too?
Many thanks :)

Attachments

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
:welcome
Just a quick reply, you won't have a use for those ceramic noodles in a marine tank so don't worry about them.
Can you explain which way the water should flow through all of the back compartments?

ASH850

Dec 5, 2015
:welcome
Just a quick reply, you won't have a use for those ceramic noodles in a marine tank so don't worry about them.
Can you explain which way the water should flow through all of the back compartments?
Thanks for your response buddy :)
From what i understand, the water is supposed to pass thru the protein skimmer then thru the ceramic donut things and flow in to the pump to be pumped back in to the tank..

Why would the ceramic things come with the tank if they're not needed?

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Just sounds like you need to tinker with the tank a bit to get the correct water flow and levels because from what I have experienced with these types of setups they are pretty basic.

Do you have a manual handy or can you point us to an online version so we can help you further?

I suspect that the pump in the third chamber should not run dry so if it looks like it's heading that way turn it off immediately.

Power filters generally aren't used in marines, but I understand that some people do use them for one reason or another. Rather than noodles we rely on bugs and worms to devour leftovers and in turn produce nutrients that is in turn consumed by bacteria living in the live rock we use.

The tank would have come with noodles because the tank would have been marketed for both fresh and salt water, and/or because the manufacturer had no F&N idea.

ASH850

Dec 5, 2015
Just sounds like you need to tinker with the tank a bit to get the correct water flow and levels because from what I have experienced with these types of setups they are pretty basic.

Do you have a manual handy or can you point us to an online version so we can help you further?

I suspect that the pump in the third chamber should not run dry so if it looks like it's heading that way turn it off immediately.

Power filters generally aren't used in marines, but I understand that some people do use them for one reason or another. Rather than noodles we rely on bugs and worms to devour leftovers and in turn produce nutrients that is in turn consumed by bacteria living in the live rock we use.

The tank would have come with noodles because the tank would have been marketed for both fresh and salt water, and/or because the manufacturer had no F&N idea.
Thanks @Savage Henry i just saw your response :)
Ive been moving things around, taking stuff out, putting it back in, turning things around and its been running for about an hour now without running dry
I plan to get about 8kg of live rock, a heap of coral & sponges and 2 clownfish.. And of course a clean up crew, although im not quite sure what that entails..

I got really inspired, one of the fb marine tank pages im on posted a photo of a phenomenal tank thru the week with the caption "whats everyone else tanks looking like today" and i posted a pic of my empty, dusty one and he came back with 'thats a blank canvas'
So ive been googling and reading and i think i know what i want to create

Last edited:

ASH850

Dec 5, 2015
How did you fix it? It's just handy for others to know if they find your thread :)
Oh and you can put an @ in front of someones name to tag them in the post. @ASH850
Thanks @Buddy :)
I fixed it by taking the sump, filters & canisters out.. I think i just fluked it lol because when i switched the powerboard back on it all worked..

So my next question is; now ive had my hands and arms in there do i need to change the water or am i ok to start adding salt? I had washed my hands & arms really really well prior to putting them in

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Good to see you got the flow worked out.
First of all . . Slow down.
Loose the ceramic rings.
If you've filled it with tap water - dump it - tap water is full of rubbish.
Decide which way you want to go with the water. Natural sea water - either get your own (you are in Qld) or buy from a reliable LFS or buy a bucket of good quality salt and use RO water - either produce your own or again buy from a reliable LFS.
Always keep in mind that your water is the most important ingredient in a tank, so if you get it right the first time you willl reduce headaches down the road.
Put your sand in, put your rock in, put your water in and sit back and watch and wait - let the system cycle.
We're all more than happy to help you through the initial stages and offer as much advice as you need.
By the way welcome aboard the Reefuge.

ASH850

Dec 5, 2015
Than
Good to see you got the flow worked out.
First of all . . Slow down.
Loose the ceramic rings.
If you've filled it with tap water - dump it - tap water is full of rubbish.
Decide which way you want to go with the water. Natural sea water - either get your own (you are in Qld) or buy from a reliable LFS or buy a bucket of good quality salt and use RO water - either produce your own or again buy from a reliable LFS.
Always keep in mind that your water is the most important ingredient in a tank, so if you get it right the first time you willl reduce headaches down the road.
Put your sand in, put your rock in, put your water in and sit back and watch and wait - let the system cycle.
We're all more than happy to help you through the initial stages and offer as much advice as you need.
By the way welcome aboard the Reefuge.
Thanks @daveH :)
The reason i went with the tap water is because the aquarium shop i went with said if i use a good dechlorinator which removes heavy metals then tap water will suffice.. Im very green though, so if any of this is wrong please let me know..
Also i was under the impression that live rock goes in after the water has cycled or does the water cycle because the live rock is in there?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
LFS's have been known to tell porkies!!
Rather than put chemicals in tap water to remove nasties it's better to start with pure water and add your salt or use seawater, which just happens to be the perfect environment for fish.
Sand and rocks together - that will get the cycle started rather than add rocks later and start the cycle again.
Where in Qld are you?

ASH850

Dec 5, 2015
LFS's have been known to tell porkies!!
Rather than put chemicals in tap water to remove nasties it's better to start with pure water and add your salt or use seawater, which just happens to be the perfect environment for fish.
Sand and rocks together - that will get the cycle started rather than add rocks later and start the cycle again.
Where in Qld are you?
Im at Ravenshoe west of Cairns :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Im at Ravenshoe west of Cairns :)
I did a Google map of that area and it showed a waterfall, beautiful area. I bet there are gobs of rainbow fish there, one of my other passions.

Listen to the folks here, great bunch! Like others have said, take that tap water out and refill with fresh seawater. You're close enough to the ocean that you could collect your own. One thing you need to remember about LFS, they employ a lot of young people who might not know much about marine tanks. Have a question? Come here and ask. Start a tank journal and we'll all be glad to help out.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Also, some LFS will sell you every bit of modern technology or chemical and tell you it is vital to your tank. Not all do this though.

I found it disappointing at the start of keeping marines to find that I should not use tap water. Some do though, but apparently you will have algae problems down the track if you maintain using it. At worst, you could start with it initially (with dechlorination etc), then remove it with your water changes.

I used tap water in a fish-only tank when treating my fish for white spot. I haven't used it in a set up aquarum with live rock so I can't express an opinion about it.

Your lucky in that your tank is only 80L so once you get it up an running and are doing regular water changes you won't need that much RO water or fresh salt water.

ASH850

Dec 5, 2015
I did a Google map of that area and it showed a waterfall, beautiful area. I bet there are gobs of rainbow fish there, one of my other passions.

Listen to the folks here, great bunch! Like others have said, take that tap water out and refill with fresh seawater. You're close enough to the ocean that you could collect your own. One thing you need to remember about LFS, they employ a lot of young people who might not know much about marine tanks. Have a question? Come here and ask. Start a tank journal and we'll all be glad to help out.
Thanks @ReeferRob
Yes it is a beautiful area, i love it here :)
I'll do some research as to which the best beach is to collect the water from.. There's alot of boats (fishing, cruise liners, tourist boats etc) and ive been told to be wary of pollution etc and there's heaps of mudflats
Thankyou everyone for your help, its very much appreciated :)

ASH850

Dec 5, 2015
Also, some LFS will sell you every bit of modern technology or chemical and tell you it is vital to your tank. Not all do this though.

I found it disappointing at the start of keeping marines to find that I should not use tap water. Some do though, but apparently you will have algae problems down the track if you maintain using it. At worst, you could start with it initially (with dechlorination etc), then remove it with your water changes.

I used tap water in a fish-only tank when treating my fish for white spot. I haven't used it in a set up aquarum with live rock so I can't express an opinion about it.

Your lucky in that your tank is only 80L so once you get it up an running and are doing regular water changes you won't need that much RO water or fresh salt water.
Thanks @Savage Henry for your input..
I made the mistake yesterday of going in to an aquarium shop and saying im just starting out what do i need so i was sold 5kg of salt, dechlorinator and bactosprint for $160
Which seemingly i have no use for :banghead
Live & learn though, i just assumed someone who was passionate about tanks wouldnt rip someone else off with the same interest

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
A couple of tips for collecting your own water:
Collect about an hour before high tide
Preferably a couple of days after a heavy rain, or longer
Stay away from boat ramps and anywhere that has high boat activity.
I collect from the end of a jetty and have got great clean water for the last 2 years.
image.jpeg

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Thanks @Savage Henry for your input..
I made the mistake yesterday of going in to an aquarium shop and saying im just starting out what do i need so i was sold 5kg of salt, dechlorinator and bactosprint for $160
Which seemingly i have no use for :banghead
Live & learn though, i just assumed someone who was passionate about tanks wouldnt rip someone else off with the same interest
Ouch!