Reef Discussion

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
we were all thinking it :p

I like Brightwell products, they have some really great stuff available! But any product that is a liquid phos remover is most probably going to be Lanthanum based

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
same result, different name. Save your dollars and if you really are bent on buying a liquid PO4 remover, buy pool starver.

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
I would add though, that if you are cooking rock that you have a filter sock or something like that in there, that the pump in the tub pushes water into. That way you are removing the flocculant from the water and with it the bound phosphate.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
so if i was to pull individual rocks out and place them in a tub with pool starver and a powerhead... will it "suck" the phos out of my rockwork ? last guy never used an ro so my phos has been high from the start and as such battling algae....:(

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
I would never use starver (or any liquid phos remover) unless you have some way of capturing the binded phosphate. I dose into my filter socks when I do dose this

I think in theory it would work but only if you are removing the phosphate by way of mechanical means and not letting it sit in the tub

Puffy#79

Jan 2, 2012
Newcastle
I use pool starver at the moment the lo chrol starver is the brand
It contains lanthanum glycolate hexahydrate
I shake it up till milky tip 500 mls into my 1 ltr beAker
Let it settle over night, which will give me approx 200 mills of white shit in the bottom of the beaker and 800 mills of clear liquid. Once settled i decant the clear liquid out with a small air hose than refill with salt water from my tank. Once this has resettle again I slowly and gentle lower in to my sump in a area with slow enough flow not to pull the white stuff from the beAker. The next two or three days it gets a brown skin on top which I just stir into solution again. I had a real bad phosphate problem with levels as high as 1.78 ppm After three weeks it has ripped that shit out and is down to levels of 0.7 .
This stuff works but has to be used with extreme caution extreme caution.
I now have a phosban reactor that I run 500 grams of rowa in to maintain levels. Once the levels are below 0.5 ppm I will remove the starver to see if rowa can sustain my levels.

ausreef

Apr 13, 2012
i use bunnings Hy Chlor phosphate remover,its lanthanum chloride so very easy to dose,$20 for 1lt