Reef Discussion

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
If the phos is bound then why should it matter if it is removed or not?
They phos releases back into the water if it isn't skimmed out within a few hours what is the reason why you need an effective skimmer for the tank

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Dosing straight lanthanum and phos e are two very different things I would never dose straight lanthanum into the display to risky, I haven't had any issues with dosing into display with phos e for the last two ish years

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Belive what you want and I'll stick with my 0.00 phos that I've had for the past two years lol
Agree with MTG
i dont think it matters as long as you have a good skimmer and its turned on.
We dont ask the fish to shit in the skimmer do we? lol no they shit in the tank and the skimmer collects it by binding.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Dosing straight lanthanum and phos e are two very different things I would never dose straight lanthanum into the display to risky, I haven't had any issues with dosing into display with phos e for the last two ish years
Hey MTG I never got any success with phos E. but glad its working for you. its so bizarre do you think this is could be put down to inconsistent products? meh dunno but i went through a whole bottle and got no response also no response from brightwell when i emailed them either.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
to true, im sure it would be more effective being near the skimmer as it would start getting skimmed out quicker but its not needed imo, i dont have phos issues so dosing into the display works for me!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Hey MTG I never got any success with phos E. but glad its working for you. its so bizarre do you think this is could be put down to inconsistent products? meh dunno but i went through a whole bottle and got no response also no response from brightwell when i emailed them either.
interesting, maybe you got a bad batch ? it always gave me rapid resuts. i barely use it anymore only a few drops every few months but originaly i used to to remove all the bound phos out of my liverock what took about 6 months of dosing.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
interesting, maybe you got a bad batch ? it always gave me rapid resuts. i barely use it anymore only a few drops every few months but originaly i used to to remove all the bound phos out of my liverock what took about 6 months of dosing.
grrr and so many people rave about it so it must work...why not me !!! :(

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
If you dose straight into the skimmer body/neck and capture the skimmer output in a sock filter surely you minimise the amount that could possibly enter the DT.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
@OSCAR85 - If you are around the SE suburbs I have some left over that I am not using (lath) that worked. Happy to chat and show how I used it - worked a treat.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
@OSCAR85 - If you are around the SE suburbs I have some left over that I am not using (lath) that worked. Happy to chat and show how I used it - worked a treat.
THanks thatd be great. Ill be in touch soon, off to sydney for work this week so ill message you next week.

thanks alan for finding some filter socks for me just purchased 1.

i cant really put a filter sock over my outlet of my skimmer but i was planning on putting the solution in the sock with the inlet from the protein skimmer being directly below would this be ok or should i be DIYing my outlet on my skimmer to fit a sock?

i think the best bet is to dose into the skimmer, that way, it has the most amount of time to react, then you see a direct increase of skimmate. The sock is just to catch the excess.

Dosing into the sock means that the sock is doing all the work..

Why cant you run the outlet into a sock? Even if its only a temp thing. You really want to run the 3-5ML (in ~400ML RO Water) over 24 hours. THen leave it a few days then run again. Removing too much too fast is BAD.

ok thanks for the advise. just gotta ad a few elbows to my skimmer should work ok. playing it safe and probably start with 1-2mil in 2L ro water over a 24 hr period, see how my live stock and phos react and go from there.

You need to do the math to ensure you are not over dosing. 1L per 10000L i think it is, but check it out. It does scale down to aquarium size. 1-2 mil is a good starting point.

were do i find the ratio? I've got a approx 700-770L tank so should i be dosing 10000L/1000ml = 10, 700L/10 = 70ml. is that correct? 70ml seems a lot to dose.

@MTG That is beautiful. Awesome colours. I'll be showing the missus that when she gets in.

Newb question, what is the orange fish at the front of the hammers with blue eye shadow?
its yellow although its matts photoshop skills :P

@LEG-IT @NiCd

Sorry @MTG. i would say 7ML. i have 250 and i worked out 2.5ML i think it was...

if you want to get serious, majority of the pro tanks in america use T5, most of the ones that converted from ati power modules to leds only lasted a couple of months and have gone back.

here is a small review someone did at reef central. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2274279
thats a horrible review and he has had the light for two days? :dead

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Guys remember this is phos e talk, create a lanthanum thread as you will be confusing users, thanks