Tank Journal Archive

Building The Frame
40mm box steel from a supplier locally for $140 cut.
IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

Got height adjustable feet from a supplier to make sure I get a dead level tank. M16 ball swivel feet.
IMG_1583.JPG

A good mate Tig welded it all up for me and did the grind back.
IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

Powder coating came up beautiful
IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

As with my current tank I decided to stay with the lifting tray that will hold all the cables and power supplies. Two switchboards this time with a temp controller in the middle.
IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

Made some brackets to hold two custom made containers that will hold RO water for my level float. My ghost box will create a space between the tank and the wall so I thought I might as well use this space instead of having a big drum sitting next to the tank.
IMG_1657.JPG

Brackets for the tray hinge
IMG_1659.JPG

Tray in and bottom floor varnished. Next will be the cladding
IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG

Last edited:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I love the idea of the drop down tray :)

How did you feel about drilling into your nice new powder coated frame ? I am trying to work our how to do some things with my new Redsea Reefer cabinet without drilling holes into it :eek

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I want to see the ghost/shadow box. Have thought about this for a while but there is always something else to do. Keen to see what you do and how it turns out.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Love your work mate .
Please test timers ,double adapters and any transformers in the PDU before you go further, you might find a few types could get snared on the timber base.

E

ezza

It's very nice. There are several people on here who should do this stuff for a living. You sir, are one.

Looooovvvveeeeee iiiitttt :D One of the nicest looking stands I've seen :cum:cum
Thanks mate, I hope to keep it looking good, not sure what to do about cladding. Its pretty expensive doing it in Laminex and I cant help but think how often you buy a cabinet like my current one that cost me $1100 and its all pine that's stained. I mean I can do that...
I made this a few weeks ago for my wife and this was from old pallets.. I mean It can not be that hard to bet a beautiful finnish... You can see my current stand in the background.

IMG_1677.PNG

IMG_1678.PNG
IMG_1679.PNG

Apr 12, 2014
Geelong
Looks great, love the boxes for the PDU's. Definitely a better way to organise it.

Yeah, why not, you have got the skills, make the cabinet. We did the dress work on ours after we got the basic. But the cabinetry was terrible. Nothing was square and here we were trying to square things, it was impossible to adjust.

Ok, I'll give it a crack. If what you get is flat panels that have a smooth and beautiful finish then I can certainly get the same result with a good stain and a couple of coats of varnish. I do love making wood look good, and when that varnish comes up like glass... its so good!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
As everyone else has already said that job on the pallet is amazing!! That came up an absolute treat mate :D

You should definitely make your own cabinet/panel covers for the stand!! It would be one of the sexiest stands going around! lol