Tank Journal Archive

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Bung-eyed Juvenile Scribbled Rabbitfish
I went a-coral shopping today as its my last day of freedom before I start working long hours for a while. I had 'errands' to run which just happened to include two of the local aquariums. I've been keeping my ear to the ground for weeks now looking for a small rabbitfish to help me with the Caulerpa in my display, which I've been manually removing with a siphon and treating with Hydrogen peroxide as well - still working on it :rolleyes

I was at Fishworld Aquarium in Dandenong and on one tank it read Scribble Rabbitfish (injured eye) $25. There was a juvenile with a chewed up tail and injured eye. First of all, I'm so impressed at the shops ethics in how they handled an NQR fish - I wish more LFS were like them. The salesperson also made sure I was aware of the injury.

I told myself that I really should get the healthy one that was in another tank but then I started thinking how perfect my tank is for it to recover in - its not overstocked and is a low stress environment for him. It was a given that this fish pretty much had my name on it as I'm a sucker for a sad story, as long as the odds are good (rescuing wildlife hardens you to reality somewhat). While I was acclimatising him I had a close look at the eye as I may not get another chance to have such a good look. He has full rotational movement so the muscles surrounding it don't appear to be compromised, but I'm as certain as I can be that he has no vision out of it at all - no response to waving my hand close to him on that side. The normal eye has a clear convex 'lens' over it which is completely absent on the injured eye. I can't see any sign of infection or wounds but that doesn't mean an infection isn't brewing. Hopefully he will recover ok. I'm expecting at worst he will die, at best its looking like he will be blind in one eye. He may surprise me and regain his sight once any inflammation goes down, we will 'see'!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Here he is doing what Rabbitfish do best - having a massive HEART ATTACK in the bag while being acclimatised. I turned the lights off after I had examined him hoping he would chill out a little (he didn't). I also added a drop of Rescue Remedy to the bag to help reduce stress.

Vid shows his good eye.

Best I could do with my lame-arse photography skills - if anyone has any comments about what they can see going on with his eye I'm all 'ears' :p

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

Last edited:

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Sad story, hope it has a happy ending :(
I hope so too, he has major 'tude so I have a feeling he will not only survive but will be the biggest PITA when he's recovered. He's still feeling very threatened, my damsel has copped a wack from him across the head. And the way he greeted me through the glass tonight I'm probably next :p

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
How is it that you managed to get a nice video of the good eye but three crappy photo's of the bad eye :confused:

Hope he pulls through ...

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
How is it that you managed to get a nice video of the good eye but three crappy photo's of the bad eye :confused:

Hope he pulls through ...
Welcome to my life, photo taking isn't my thing. I considered tipping him onto his other side in the bag but he seriously looked like he was going to die of fright.

Having said all of that, there isn't much to see - those photos are about it, the eye is the same colour as his camouflage. It was not sitting correctly in its socket yesterday but that seems to have corrected itself so far.

I'll take another vid over the weekend so u can see his shredded tail as well.

Also can anyone tell me if their foxface has a reflective green sheen on the eyes? The good eye has this & I'm not sure if thats normal or a sign of a head injury.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Update: eyesight is back but not as good as other eye as the pupil is completely constricted. There must have been swelling underneath pushing the bottom half of the eyeball out, which is gone now

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I've named my rabbitfish "Hugo" after a nice elderly German man I met the other day. I'm having a 'what have you done' moment over my special needs fish today.

He ate prepared food for the first time but I had to stick it right up against his mouth with tongs for him to get the idea. He went nuts for it and pigged out, then he came out of his hiding spot and was racing around the tank excited but didn't appear to know how to chase down the pieces floating around. I really hope he catches on soon.

It looks like I was wrong about his vision coming back. The other night I sat and watched him pacing the front glass of the tank. EVERY lap he would bump into a snail on the glass - I mean seriously! How many times do you need to do that? It was a bit sad and comical at the same time.

Wish I could photograph/video this stuff - I have tried but he just goes and hides. Also, when the camera is out he keeps his good eye on it, so I haven't been able to get a shot of the bad eye!

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Who knows what the injury is or wether its the same, but my yellow with the bung eye made a full recovery so fingers crossed!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Who knows what the injury is or wether its the same, but my yellow with the bung eye made a full recovery so fingers crossed!
I feel quite optimistic overall - I'm seeing changes with the eye as each day goes by, mostly for the better. He has some swelling that keeps coming and going so his body is busily working away on it. His cornea is visible again on the injured eye - at first the eye was just flat looking without that glassy lens over it. And today I noticed the injured eye had a green sheen to it just like the good one. I had a closer look and his pupil is fully dilated again! It looks damaged but its the first time its been normal size so thats a really good sign.

He could see my lawnmower blenny approaching him on his right side and was reacting to the movement, as well as chasing down food without a problem today. He had a few crashes into things so he doesn't have full vision and behind the eye is swollen again, so 'something' is happening, hopefully just healing.

I found this brilliant article on Eye Health in Aquarium fish - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/3/fish
It answered my question about the green fluorescence I noticed in his good eye and whether this is normal or not.

"If a fish's eye seems cloudy, the first task is to determine if it may be normal for that species. Some puffers, rabbitfish, scorpionfish and walleye have a normal cloudy sheen to their eyes. This will be seen in both eyes equally, and will always be present under the right viewing conditions. It the cloudiness appears over time, it is not a normal condition for that fish."

So has anyone noticed this green glowing sheen in their rabbitfishes eyes?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I noticed Hugo nibbling on some Halymenia seaweed last night when the lights were in moonlight phase and managed to sneak up on him to film. His bad eye is obscured by the macroalgae for most of it so if you get bored skip to 2:20 where you get a look at his bad eye, then his good one for comparison.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Sad update: unfortunately Hugo did not adjust to his blindness. He didn't seem able to learn his way around the tank and remember obstacles so he kept bumping into things and I had to hand feed him again as he stopped eating on his own. I came home one day and found him passed on :(