Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Busy Tank Weekend !
photo 1 (2).JPG
Ok. Hubby back from holiday in Queensland ( rained everyday) serves him right for leaving me home. So put him to work the min he walked in the door. Firstly we set up a second IBC for water storage.

Second job was to set up the new 25W UV system, and as usual hubby did an amazing job, looks neat and tidy and not too obvious considering the size of the unit.

photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG

Third was changing over the 8 globes.
Now this was interesing,
One of the globes we bought was incorrect, so we put the old one back in and boxed the new one ready for return.
When the lights ramped up and were at about 40% this is what the old globe looked like.
On the right, you can see the amazing difference. yes the globe is on and at the same % as the new ones
I think because the lose brightness over a long period of time we just don't notice the difference.
We were stunned.
photo 2 (2).JPG

Then a 300lt water change.
So a big thanks to hubby for all the hard work.
Oh, i did help and water test :)

Last edited:

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Wow. I noticed you saying that you run them less than 100% . From what i understand this can reduce the lifespan of T5s. Expecially if in the first 100 hours of use.
What type of globes are they?
Sorry about all the questions? (Just doing homework. .lol)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Wow. I noticed you saying that you run them less than 100% . From what i understand this can reduce the lifespan of T5s. Expecially if in the first 100 hours of use.
What type of globes are they?
Sorry about all the questions? (Just doing homework. .lol)
Yeah ramping does cost life span.on the globes.

We used to run the ATI bulbs, We found that they needed replacing every 7-9months and according to research you lose about 30% by ramping.

We now run the Giesmann, we replace every 12 months, giesmann says they will only lose about 15% by ramping.

So although the Giesmann are a little more expensive, they need replacing a lot less often.

We actually like the Giesmann light combinations and colurs a lot better for corals too.
The new Pink they brought out is great, by ramping we can get that sort of blue/ pink coral popping colors that we just couldn't get with the ATI.

'With regards to runing at 100%, we cant, its incredibly strong, we have never. They start at 1% and over the next 2 hours get to the fixed % that we have set.
We run 1 channel at 65% other at 75%. thats the most we have ever run.